Saturday, September 26, 2009

Quotes From The Letters Of Samuel Rutherford

I am currently reading The Letters Of Samuel Rutherford, and I have to say, I think everyone should read this book! These are my favorite quotes, so far...................


"Lay all your loads and your weights by faith upon Christ. Ease yourself, and let Him bear all. He can, He does, He will bear for you."

"Glorify the Lord in your sufferings, and take His banner of love, and spread it over you, Others will follow you, if they see you strong in the Lord; their courage shall take life from your Christian carriage."

"Let not the Lord's dealings seem harsh, rough, or unfatherly, because it is unpleasant. When the Lord's blessed will bloweth cross your desires, it is best in humility to strike sail to Him and to be willing to be laid any way the Lord pleaseth: it is a point of denial to yourself, to be as if ye had not a will, but had made free disposition of it to God, and had sold it over to Him; and to make use of His will for your own is both true holiness, and your ease and peace."

"Ye know not what the Lord is working out of this, but ye shall know it hereafter."

"I find Christ the most steadable friend and companion to me now: the need and usefulness of Christ is best seen in trials. O, if He be not well worthy of His room! Lodge Him in house and heart."

"God knoweth that ye are His own. Wrestle, fight, go forward, watch, fear, believe, pray; and then ye shall have the infallible symptoms of one of the elect of Christ within you."

"Because I am His own (God be thanked!) He may use me as He pleases."

"Among many marks that we are on the journey, and under sail toward heaven, this is one, when the love of God so filleth our hearts that we forget to love and care too much for the having or wanting of other things; as one extreme heat burneth out another."

"Give Him leave to take his own way of dispensation with you; and though it be rough, forgive Him; He defieth you to have as much patience to him, as he hath borne to you..........When His people can not have a providence of silk and roses, they must be content with such a one as He carves out for them."

"For your afflictions are not eternal; time will end them, and so shall you at length see the Lord's salvation. His love sleeps not, but is still working for you. His salvation will not tarry or linger; and suffering for Him is the noblest cross that is out of Heaven. Your Lord hath the the choice of ten thousand other crosses besides this to excercise you withall; but his wisdom and his love have selected this one for you besides them all; and take it as a choice one and make use of it....."


"Since Christ looked upon me, my heart is not my own; He has run away to heaven with it."


When ye are come to the other side of the water, and have set down your foot on the shore of glorious eternity, and look back again to the waters and to your wearisome journey, and shall see, in that clear glass of endless glory, nearer to the bottom of God's wisdom, ye shall then be forced to say, 'If God had done otherwise with me than He hath done, I had never come to the enjoying of this crown of glory'. It is your part now to believe, and suffer, and hope, and wait on; for I protest, in the presence of that all-discerning eye, who knows what I write and what I think, that I would not want the sweet experience of the consolations of God for all the bitterness of affliction. Nay, whether God come to His children with a rod or a crown, if He come Himself with it, it is well. Welcome, welcome, Jesus, what way soever Thou come, if we can get a sight of Thee!"
-Letter XI to Lady Kenmure, 1630

"But let me, my very dear and worthy Lord, most humbly beseech you, by the mercies of God, by the consolation of his Spirit, by the dear blood and wounds of your Redeemer, by the salvation of your soul, by the compearance before the awful face of a sin-revenging and dreadful Judge, not to set in comparison together your soul's peace, Christ's love, and His Kingly honor now called in question, with your place, honor, house, or ease, that an inch of time will make out of the way. I verily believe that Christ is begging a testimony of you, and is saying, "And will you also leave me?" It is possible that the wind will not blow so fair for you all your life, for coming out and appearing before others to back and countenance Christ, the fairest among the sons of men, the Prince of the kings of the earth. "Fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be afraid of their revilings: for the moth shall eat them up like a garment, and the worm shall eat them like wool."
-Letter CLXXIV

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1