Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Currently Reading -





I have been reading this excellent book over the past couple weeks. When it was recommended to me, I was told it was a life changing book, I can see how that would be true, if one were able to learn and apply the principles taught here. Here are some of the parts that made an impression on me.



"It is but one side of a Christian to endeavor to do what pleases God; you must as well endeavor to be pleased with what God does, and so you will come to be a complete Christian when you can do both, and that is the first thing in the excellence of this grace of Christian contentment."


"Perhaps God sees it is better for you to live in a continual dependence upon Him, and not to know what your condition shall be on the morrow, than for you to have a more settled condition in terms of comfort of the creature. Christ does not teach us to pray, "Lord, give me enough to serve me for two or three years," but, "This day our daily bread." This is to teach us we must live upon God in a dependant condition every day."


"Contentment is freely submitting to, and taking pleasure in God's disposal."



"By all your discontent you cannot help yourself, you cannot get anything by it. Who by taking care can add one cubit to his stature, or make one hair that is white to be black? You may vex and trouble yourself, but you will get nothing by it. Do you think that the Lord will come in mercy one whit sooner because of the murmuring of your spirits? Oh no, but the mercy will rather be deferred the longer for it; though the Lord was about to send mercy before, yet the disorder of your heart is enough to put Him out of His course of mercy, and though He had thoughts that you should have the thing before, yet now you shall not have it. If you had a mind to give something to your child, yet if you see him in a discontented, fretting mood you will not give it to him. And this is the very reason why many mercies are denied to you, because of your discontent. You are discontented for want of them, and therefore you do not get them. You deprive yourself of the enjoyment of your desires, because of the discontent of your hearts, because you do not get your desires, and is this not a foolish thing?"




" All that a Godly man receives, he receives as a pledge of God's love to him; therefore when he comes into an afflicted condition, God says, "Return to me as a pledge of your obedience, what you had from Me as a pledge of my love." We should cheerfully come to God and bless God that we have anything to render to Him as a pledge of our obedience, and should say, "Oh it is your love, O Lord, which has given us everything, which enables us to be able to render a pledge of our obedience to You."

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1