Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Help Thou Mine Unbelief

"And straightaway the father of the child cried out,
and said with tears, Lord, I believe;
help thou mine unbelief."
Mark 9:2


"If thou can do anything, have compassion on us, and help us". Alas that such words should be spoken to the Lord of glory. He in whose hand our breath is, and whose are all our ways - He by whom all things were created that are in heaven and earth - He whose name is Jehovah-Rophi, "The Lord that heals thee", was standing before him, and yet his faith could reach no higher than that. "If thou can do anything". And yet Jesus did not cast the unbelieving man away from Him. Jesus can never deny that word, "Him that comes unto me, I will in no wise cast out". He sent him home a happy father with his child made whole. These things were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. How evil unbelief appears in another, and yet how little do I perceive the same dishonoring thoughts of Christ when they lurk in my own bosom. I feel as if I could never use such language to Jehovah-Jesus; and yet how many times in the day I doubt both His love and His power. How often, when guilt is on my conscience, I doubt whether He be entirely willing to be the Mediator between God and such a sinful wretch as me. How often, in an hour of temptation, when the passions are roused, I doubt whether He will be able to subdue such a heart as mine. How often these words are the language of my heart."If thou can do anything, have compassion on me, and help me". And yet for all our unbelief, He does not send us away empty. Faith, as a grain of mustard seed, obtains everlasting benefits, Luke 17:6. do not let me then keep away from Christ, because my faith is small. Though He had to call His disciples, "Ye of little faith", yet that did not hinder Him from rebuking the winds and sea for them, and there was great calm, Matthew 8:26. In like manner though my name may be, "Thou of little faith", to the end of life's troubled journey, yet will I go to Him with such faith as I have, and He will in no wise cast me out.
But observe the prayer of the anxious father,"Lord, I believe, help thou mine unbelief." O! Surely this was a groan dictated by the Spirit of supplications. Never was a prayer better timed, or better expressed. The Author of faith stood before him - to whom could he go for faith but unto Christ? Faith is the gift of Jehovah-Jesus, John 17:2 .He in his kingly power riding through the world, sends out His arrows, and brings down the people under Him, Psalm 45:5.......He was not only the Rock cleft for sinners, but by His almighty power He puts us into the cleft of the rock, and hides us there, Exodus 33:22.
Would that the church of Christ were taught this prayer, "Lord, I believe, help thou mine unbelief", or that other, "Increase our faith" (Luke 17:5) Two precious things are contained in it. A sense of our want of faith, and a clear knowledge of the fountain from where living faith must flow. Few people know how small their faith is. In a Christian land, sitting under a lively ministry, surrounded by warm hearted Christian friends, the feelings are fanned into a glow, and the believer thinks that his faith is strong and full. But let providence call that faith to a foreign land..........let him wander among those who never ray to Jesus, like Abraham in the land of the Canaanites, let him lie on a sick bed with none to wait on him who know the Saviour, then he will begin to learn by sad experience that warm feelings are not faith - that faith in Jesus is like a grain of mustard seed in his bosom. O it is a painful, but blessed lesson to be taught how weak our faith is. It makes us trust less to our feelings, and less to friends, and makes us cleave closer to Christ as our all in all.
But if it be good to know how little faith we have, it is far better to know what an overflowing fountain Jesus is. He is "Alpha and Omega, the beginning and ending". He is "the Author and finisher of our faith". He anointed our eyes at the first, and made us see men as trees walking. He alone can anoint them more fully, that we may see all things clearly. He alone can help our unbelief. He can cover all the sin of it. He can remove it by fuller discoveries of Himself. "My Beloved is like a roe, or a young hart". On Judah's hills the gazelle bounds with amazing ease and graceful swiftness over the most rugged rocks. It is its very nature to spring from crag to crag. So easily, swiftly, and agreeably to His gracious nature does the Lord Jesus reveal Himself to those who wait for Him. Often by a single visit the unbelief of half a lifetime vanishes, and the soul cries out with adoring joy, "My Lord and my God". Wait on the Lord Jesus, O doubting soul. Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart. "It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord" (Lamentations 3:26). Often look beyond the blue sky to Him who sits on the right hand of God, and cry out with tears, "Lord, I believe, help thou mine unbelief".

~ Robert Murray McCheyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1