Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Lord my God will also make my darkness to be light

A few weeks back a friend and I were discussing going through hard times, and she commented that it was almost like being in a dark room searching for the light switch. The analogy made me laugh, but since then it has hit me just how often the Bible does speak of light. It seems like I have not been able to get away from this topic lately, I constantly come across references to light in my Bible reading, my devotional, and several times in sermons recently we have been reminded to trust God in the dark. So I decided to do a study on references to light, and this is the result, but I am only including some of the verses. If I used them all I don't know if anyone would get to the end of this post!



"The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God. And he shall be as the light of the morning, when the sun riseth, even a morning without clouds; as the tender grass springing out of the earth by clear shining after rain."2 Samuel 23:4

"And unto his son will I give one tribe, that David my servant may have a light alway before me in Jerusalem, the city which I have chosen me to put my name there."1 Kings 11:36


"Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the bitter in soul; Why is light
given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in?" Job 3:23


"They grope in the dark without light, and he maketh them to stagger like a drunken man. "Job 12:25


"Thou shalt also decree a thing, and it shall be established unto thee: and the light shall shine upon thy ways." Job 22:28


"Oh that I were as in months past, as in the days when God preserved me; When his candle shined upon my head, and when by his light I walked through darkness." Job 29:2-3


"When I looked for good, then evil came unto me: and when I waited for light, there came darkness." Job 30:26



"He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light. Lo, all these things worketh God oftentimes with man, To bring back his soul from the pit, to be enlightened with the light of the living." Job 33:28-30



"There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us." Psalm 4:6


"For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness." Psalm 18:28


"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1


"For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light." Psalm 36:9


"And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday." Psalm 37:6


"O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles." Psalm 43:3


"Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart. Psalm 97:11


"Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous." Psalm 112:4


"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105


"The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple." Psalm 119:130


"But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day." Proverbs 4:18


"The light of the eyes rejoiceth the heart: and a good report maketh the bones fat." Proverbs 15:30


"Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun: But if a man live many years, and rejoice in them all; yet let him remember the days of darkness; for they shall be many." Ecclesiastes 11:7-8


"And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16


"Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people. "Isaiah 51:4


"Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward." Isaiah 58:8

"And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light
rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noon day." Isaiah 58:10


"Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee." Isaiah 60:1


"The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the LORD shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory. Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the LORD shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended. Isaiah 60:19-20


"Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me. I will bear the indignation of the LORD, because I have sinned against him, until he plead my cause, and execute judgment for me: he will bring me forth to the light, and I shall behold his righteousness." Micah 7:8-9


"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16


"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light
that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness! "Matthew 6:22-23



"To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins, Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us, To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace." Luke 1:77-79


"In him was life; and the life was the light of men. The light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not." John 1:4-5


"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."John 8:12


"Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus. "John 12:35-36


"And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light." Romans 13:11-12


"In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light
of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:4-6



"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" 2 Corinthians 6:14


"For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:" Ephesians 5:8


"Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light." Ephesians 5:14


"Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. "1 Thessalonians 5:5-6


"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;" 1Peter 2:9


"We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts." 2 Peter 1:19


"And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." 1John 1:4-7

"Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth. He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes." 1John 2:8-11

"Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;" Revelation 21:1

"And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it. And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there. "Revelation 21:24-25

"And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever." Revelation 22:5


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1