Monday, December 7, 2009

Watching Unto Prayer......


I have recently been reading this short little book, it's made up of 28 chapters, and was intended to be four weeks of daily readings. It's excellent, and very easy to read, I hope to be able to read more of his books in the future......

Here are a couple sections that I wanted to share -

The Faithfulness Of God

God is faithful to souls in Christ. "God is faithful, by whom ye are called unto the fellowship of His Son." When a soul is in affliction, or desertion, his cry is, "The Lord hath forsaken me, and my God hath forgotten me." Sometimes this feeling approaches actual despair. Here is a rock for the soul to lean upon, "Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever", and "God is faithful" who called us to share with Christ. Hearken to the voice of the Great Shepherd, "My sheep hear my voice, and they follow me, and I give unto them eternal life, and they shall never perish, neither shall any pluck them out of my hand. My father which gave them me is greater than all, and none is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." Satan desires to have you. The world are laying snares for you. Your own wicked heart would sometimes be for leaving the hand that has saved you. But "none is able to pluck you out of the Father's hand". Hearken to the Father's own word, "Thou art my servant, I have chosen thee and cast not thee away" (Isaiah 41:9). The soul united to Jesus is not like the grass, but like the palm tree. Even in old age he shall bear fruit, he shall be full of sap and be flourishing. "To show that the Lord is upright, He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him" (Psalm 92:15). At the very time when Zion was saying, "My God hath forgotten me", God had her walls engraven on His hands, Isaiah 49:16. Look still to Jesus, oh! deserted soul. The love of God shines unchangeably on Him. Abide in Him, and you will abide in the Father's love. Your afflictions may only prove that you are more immediately under the Father's hand. There is no time that the patient is such an object of tender interest to the surgeon, as when he is bleeding beneath his knife. So you may be sure if you are suffering from the hand of a reconciled God, that His eye is all the more bent on you. "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms."

Bought With A Price

"Since thou was precious in my sight, thou has been honorable, and I have loved thee." God puts more value on a believer than upon all the ungodly in the world. He is very kind to the ungodly; he gives them food and raiment; houses and riches, health and pleasures, sunshine and showers; and yet He gives a child of God more in one day than He gives to all the ungodly during their whole existence. He gives to His own children - forgiveness, peace with God, and the Holy Spirit. Truly we are not our own, we are bought with a price.
.....O my soul, do thou know anything of this? Can thou say, "I am my Beloved's, and his desire is towards me?" Is it the chief desire of my heart to glorify God by fleeing from all sin? When the world comes and says, Come with us, stolen waters are sweet; my soul replies, Sinful world, I am not yours, I am the Lord's. When Satan says, Come with me, thou shalt surely not die; my soul cries out, Get thee behind me Satan, I am not yours, I was once yours, but now I am bought with a price - therefore will I glorify God in my body and my spirit, which are His."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1