Monday, March 22, 2010

My Daybook

For Today - Monday, March 22nd



Outside my window....... it's spring, though it doesn't feel much like it now. I love all the blossoming trees, forsythia, and flowers out now - just beautiful!


I am thinking......... about praying with faith, the sermon we had on this last Wed, and something I recently read, "My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up." David said that after he had unburdened his cares to God, he would, as it were, watch like a sentinel, until it should appear, that indeed God had heard him. No doubt, in the exercise of longing, there is always implied some degree of uneasiness; but he who is looking out for the grace of God with anxious desire, will patiently wait for it. Here we see the uselessness of those prayers to which there is not added that hope which may be said to elevate the minds of the petitioners into a watch-tower." "But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me." The Psalmist does not as yet feel how much he has profited by praying; but depending upon the hope of deliverance, which the faithful promise of God enabled him to entertain, he makes use of this hope as a shield to repel those temptations with the terror of which he might be greatly distressed. Although, therefore, he is severely afflicted, and a multiplicity of cares urge him to despair, he, notwithstanding, declares it to be his resolution to continue firm in in his reliance on the grace of God, and in the hope of salvation. With the very same confidence ought all the godly to be furnished and sustained that they may duly persevere in prayer....Surely it becomes us to engage in prayer in such a frame of mind as at the same time to be ready to sing the praises of God; a thing which is impossible, unless we are fully persuaded that our prayers will not be ineffectual. We may not be wholly free from sorrow, but it is nevertheless necessary that this cheerfulness of faith rise above it, and put in our mouths a song on account of the joy which is reserved for us in the future."
~John Calvin on Psalms 5 and 13




I am thankful for..... work that keeps me busy.




I am wearing..... long sleeves:-( it has gotten cold again.



Remembering...... yesterday and the wonderful afternoon sermon we had. We have been going through the book of Jonah and reached Jonah's prayer from the belly of the whale, "Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly, And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple." Jonah 2:1-4 all about praying in faith and the triumph of faith even in the midst of inward turmoil, when we feel rejected, looking outward with an eye of faith. The test of faith when God's word has to be enough without anything else......when we stake everything on God's promises. "...him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37
Here is the sermon, I hope any of you all who listen will find it has helpful as I did.



Listening to......I just finished listening to yesterday's sermon.


I am going... to go to my brother's wedding this week!


I am currently reading...... my Bible, Matthew Henry's Commentary on Exodus, and a couple other things, A Heart Aflame by John Calvin (which I am really enjoying!), The Doctrine Of Repentance by Thomas Watson, and A Lifting Up For The Downcast by William Bridge. I love books......


I am hoping... for grace for everything this week will bring.



On my mind...... being thankful,remembering my many blessings.


Noticing that......the Lord provides.




Pondering these words.... I have been thinking about how I like to post Bible verses and other helpful things I read here and on my facebook. I've been wondering, is is worth it, does anyone read what I post? Then I read these verses yesterday and was encouraged to continue, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down from heaven, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: so shall my word be that goeth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper thereto in the thing whereto I sent it." Isaiah 55:8-11
From the kitchen..three meals I will be cooking later....haven't discussed menus with Jenny yet.....



Around the house...cooking, cleaning, laundry, schoolwork......


One of my favorite things~blogging:-)


A few plans for the rest of the week... .this is going to be a very busy, tiring week. I'll be doing my normal schedule at the Es, church Wed night, shopping Thur night, then leaving very early Sat morning to drive up to Virginia for my brother Caleb's wedding! We'll be coming back Sat night.


From my picture journal.....a picture of the Keepers at Home making my peanut butter cookie recipe at their baking class:-) The girls were so sweet and saved me a cookie which they gave me the next day at church:-)



For more daybooks go to Peggy's Blog


2 comments:

  1. I do read your blog although I don't always comment. I enjoy your day book lots. Blessings to you and I hope you enjoy your brothers wedding. Are you going to participate? Does Caleb live in VA?? God be with you and give you JOY this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I enjoy your blog too:-)
    Yes, Caleb lives in VA, as does most of my family. No, I'm not in the wedding, there is only one attendant and that is the bride's sister.
    I hope you have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1