Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Door of Hope....

"....The valley of Achor was the valley of great perturbation, trouble, and of great discouragement, when the men of Israel fled and fell before the men of Ai, for the sin of Achan (Joshua 7:26); yet it was an inlet to the land of Canaan, to the land of rest. Now, says the Lord, see how it was with them: though the valley of Achor was a valley of trouble and perturbation, yet it was the door by which the Israelites came into the land of rest: so shall it be with you; I will make your troubles and discouragements the very door of your hope. The valley of your discouragements shall be the door and inlet unto all your rest and comfort. God takes the same way with the members as He took with their Head; Christ's cross was an inlet of glory. His suffering time was the valley of Achor to His disciples, and was it not a door of hope unto them, and to all the saints? This is God's way; discouragements bring encouragements, the more discouragements the saints have, the more encouragements they shall have. Yea, their discouragements shall contribute to their encouragements and be a door of hope to them. Now if the valley of Achor shall by promise be a door of hope, why should we be discouraged whatsoever our valley of Achor be, whatever our condition be?"
~ From my reading in A Lifting Up For The Downcast by William Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1