Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Happy 16th anniversary to Dixie-Does Alpines!

Sixteen years ago my brothers, sister and I brought home two little Alpine doe kids in the back of our station wagon. Fast forward a few years, and the goats had become a big part of our lives providing all of our family's milk, we were breeding and selling registered kids, and showing our does in all the surrounding states at shows and fairs. I have so many good memories of those days.....working together, camping out in barns, exploring at fairs, being silly to stay awake on late night drives.....a lot of fun! Now the goats are kept at my sister's place in Tennessee and though we live far away from one another we do manage to sometimes get together at a show. Here are a few old pictures of my memories of the goats ~


Baby goats.

Antoinette.


Caleb and Primadonna.


Primadonna all grown up.

My favorite goat, Gabby. We had to sell her a few years ago when we cut back on numbers, but she would be 10 now.


And this is why I say South Carolina seems flat! The view driving to a show in West Virginia.


Becky showing Monalisa at the Va State Fair.


No one who knows me will be surprised to know that I spent plenty of time at shows helping out with others babies and toddlers:-) This is Amber who I have fun memories of playing with and carrying around.

Shows can be tiring! Josiah fell asleep and I couldn't resist taking a picture:-)


Jacob in the back of the truck.


Monalisa, our first home bred champion, gets a hug from Becky after winning.


Milking after a show.


It's always fun when friends can get together at shows. Me, Karen, Becky, and Abigail in 2006, at Frederick, Maryland.


Becky and Tannith.

Showing at the 2006 American Dairy Goat National Show in Indianapolis was a really neat experience. Becky, Seth, Caleb, Cephas, and I had so much fun that week:-) We were happy when our Maire placed 8th out of over 60 entries!

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. For riches are not for ever: and doth the crown endure to every generation? The hay appeareth, and the tender grass sheweth itself, and herbs of the mountains are gathered.The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field. And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household."
~Proverbs 27:23-27

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1