Friday, May 28, 2010

From Rutherford's Letters....

The last few evenings I've pulled out my copy of Rutherford's Letters and read through it, mainly just favorite parts I had marked in an earlier reading......it is always an encouraging book to read so I thought would share some of it.

"For I trust that you did first contract and bargain with the Son of God to follow Him upon these terms, that by His grace you should endure hardship, and suffer affliction, as the soldier of Christ. They are not worthy of Jesus who will not take a blow for their Master's sake."


"For your afflictions are not eternal; time will end them, and so shall you at length see the Lord's salvation. His love sleeps not, but is still working for you. His salvation will not tarry or linger; and suffering for Him is the noblest cross that is out of Heaven. Your Lord hath the the choice of ten thousand other crosses besides this to exercise you withall; but his wisdom and his love have selected this one for you besides them all; and take it as a choice one and make use of it."


“When ye are come to the other side of the water, and have set down your foot on the shore of glorious eternity, and look back again to the waters and to your wearisome journey, and shall see, in that clear glass of endless glory, nearer to the bottom of God’s wisdom, ye shall then be forced to say, ‘If God had done otherwise with me than He hath done, I had never come to the enjoying of this crown of glory’. It is your part now to believe, and suffer, and hope, and wait on; for I protest, in the presence of that all-discerning eye, who knows what I write and what I think, that I would not want the sweet experience of the consolations of God for all the bitterness of affliction. Nay, whether God come to His children with a rod or a crown, if He come Himself with it, it is well."

"And as to what are your fears.....lay them upon Christ's shoulders: let Him bear all. Loose your grips of them all; and when He pulls let them go with faith and joy."

"It is enough that the Lord has promised you great things, only let the time of bestowing them be in His own carving. It is not for us to set an hourglass to the Creator of time.....Do not argue with your gracious Lord about the fulfilling of your joys. His day is better than your day."

"You are now yourself alone, but you may have, for the seeking, three always in your company, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I trust they are near you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1