Saturday, May 8, 2010

Questions for self-examination in reference to public worship

This came from a friend on facebook and I thought it was a good thought for preparing for the Lord's day .

1. Do I come to worship expecting to meet with God? (Psalm 42:1-2)

2. Is my heart renewed by the Holy Spirit?
Without this there can be no godliness, and consequently
no acceptable worship. (Romans 8: 8-9)

3. Do I understand why and what I worship? (John 4:22).
It is only through Christ and as I am taught by the Holy Spirit
that I can have access to God. (Ephesians 2:18)

4. Is the worship which I offer spiritual? (John 4:24)
Is my heart really engaged with God? (Matthew 15:8)
When in the Worship Service do I endeavor to banish all thoughts about secular matters?
At the right time and place they may be lawful, but here they are sinful; they are like the buyers
and sellers whom Jesus expelled from the temple, and by whom the house of prayer
had been converted into a house of merchandise. (John 2:16)

5. Am I early in attendance on the means of grace?
Ought I not to be ashamed and grieved at being late for worship?
Those who love the Savior and His ordinances will generally be early. (Psalm 84:1-2)

6. Is my body posture what it ought to be?
The form without the power is hypocrisy, but the form with the power is devotion.
Persons who continually look about during service, prove that they do not look above or within.
God forbid that this should be my case.

7. Do I value my religious advantages?
Do I esteem the worship of God my highest privilege on earth?
And do I both improve it as a preparation, and enjoy it as a foretaste of the everlasting Sabbath
which remains to the people of God? (Hebrews 4:9)

8. Have I reason to expect God's blessing?
Do I solemnly pray before and when I come to church, that grace may be given to the minister,
the congregation, and myself?
When the blessing is pronounced, do I, instead of rising with indecorous haste,
spend a little time in supplication, that the Word preached may profit those who have heard it?
(Isaiah 55: 10-11; Hebrews 4:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1