Monday, August 30, 2010

My Daybook

For Today - August 30th


Outside my window......sunny and warm, but thankfully much cooler than it was a few weeks ago.


I am thinking.....
that you know a little one is tired when she is willing to lie down and take a rest at 9 in the morning!


I am thankful for.......
the reminder in yesterday afternoon's sermon that Jesus is praying for us.


I am wearing........
a denim skirt and blue shirt.


Remembering.....
yesterday morning's sermon on Luke 14:25-35 -"And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear."
The points were, being consecrated to Christ, cross bearing, calculating the cost, and consequences....This was so good, afterwords I was thinking I don't want to let any of it slip away, I want to remember all of it....and thankfully with sermon audio we can do that. Please listen to this if you can - you will be blessed!



Listening to.....
sounds of the children



I am going.....
to do laundry, cook some meals, and whatever else needs doing...



Noticing that....
I have nothing but respect for homeschool moms!


I am currently reading.....
my Bible, Matthew Henry's commentary on Judges, and Thoughts Of God by Maurice Roberts. In a review I heard on this book recently we were told it was great for moms with young children, the chapters are short and self contained. Though I'm not a mom I've found that to be helpful in this busy season of life.


On my mind......
my reading in Matthew Henry this morning on Judges 13 where the angel comes to tell Manoah's wife that she is going to have a child. There was so much good stuff in this chapter, I'd recommend reading the whole thing, but here are a few quotes that stood out for me.


"Many eminent persons were born of mothers that had been kept a great while in the want of the blessing of children, as Isaac, Joseph, Samuel, and John Baptist, that the mercy might be the more acceptable when it did come. Sing, O barren! thou that didst not bear, Isa. liv. 1. Note, Mercies long waited for often prove signal mercies, and it is made to appear that they were worth waiting for, and by them others may be encouraged to continue their hope in God's mercy."


"The angel, in the message he delivers, 1. Takes notice of her affliction: Behold now, thou art barren and bearest not. Hence she might gather he was a prophet, that though a stranger to her, and one she had never seen before, yet he knew this to be her grievance. He tells her of it, not to upbraid her with it, but because perhaps at this time she was actually thinking of this affliction and bemoaning herself as one written childless. God often sends in comfort to his people very seasonably, when they feel most from their troubles. "Now thou art barren, but thou shalt not be always so," as she feared, "nor long so."


"As the promise tried her faith, so this precept tried her obedience; for God requires both from those on whom he will bestow his favours."


"God will not fail some way or other to guide those by his counsel that are sincerely desirous to know their duty, and apply themselves to him to teach them, Ps. xxv. 8, 9."


"And let those good Christians who have had communion with God in the word and prayer, to whom he has graciously manifested himself, and who have had reason to think God has accepted their works, take encouragement thence in a cloudy and dark day. "God would not have done what he has done for my soul if he had designed to forsake me, and leave me to perish at last; for his work is perfect, nor will he mock his people with his favours." Learn to reason as Manoah's wife did, "If God had designed me to perish under his wrath, he would not have given me such distinguishing tokens of his favour." O woman! great is thy faith."


Pondering these words...."I think this is the hardest part of all. You can take just about anything, if you know why. Everywhere I go, every meeting, I’m asked – ‘Why?...I’m going to tell you something: God will very seldom answer your question of Why. It is not that there are no answers, it’s just that you and I probably wouldn’t be able to comprehend the answer if God were to tell us, and besides that, we have to learn to trust Him without knowing why. We ask Him questions. What we’re usually doing is saying, ‘Lord explain yourself’, call God into account. Our responsibility whatever our circumstances is to keep on the path of duty. People are usually more anxious to get rid of the problem than they are to find the purpose of God in it. (Walking with the King, p. 173.)



Around the house....
children doing their school schedule, meals to cook, laundry to do.....



One of my favorite things~
a quiet evening at home.



A few plans for the rest of the week .....
just try to get everything done that needs doing!



From my photo journal ~
I love this candid picture I took at the baseball game last week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1