Monday, September 13, 2010

My Daybook

For Today - September 13th

Outside my window......the leaves are starting to turn, and it felt so cool and nice when Bonnie (the dog) and I went on our morning walk.


I am thinking.....
.about the movie I watched last night, The Hiding Place. It puts things in perspective, and I really liked this quote from it, "No pit is so deep that the Lord is not deeper still."


I am thankful for.......
my church and good friends in it.


I am wearing........
a denim skirt and purple shirt.


Remembering....
This sermon on Matthew 6 from last Wednesday night which was comforting and encouraging.
"lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Matthew 6:19-21





Listening to.....
quiet - a rare thing - but all the children had a doctor's appointment this afternoon leaving me with an unexpected quiet couple hours.


I am going.....
to have some quiet time, get some stuff done on the computer, and read, just finished helping get the children ready to go out the door, and doing tidying/cleaning, and laundry. Later I plan to watch a movie with Jenny and Mr E.


Noticing that...
life is full of opportunities for sanctification which often isn't much fun...


I am currently reading....
my Bible, and Matthew Henry's commentary on Ruth.


I am hoping......
"..To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified."
Isaiah 61:3


On my mind......
a question that came up after watching the movie The Hiding Place last night....For those who aren't familiar with it it is the story of the Ten boom family, a father and two daughters, who helped hide Jews during World War 2. When the Ten Booms are captured and imprisoned, the elderly father dies before he can transported to the concentration camps. I thought he was blessed that the Lord took him and spared him so much suffering, but was wondering what others thought- would you rather go on living, or die and be spared all that pain? (please know that I am not talking about suicide here). I think sometimes it is much harder to go on living......though I know not everyone agrees with me on this.


Pondering these words
....Some thoughts from my reading in Matthew Henry's Commentary on Ruth chapter 4 that I read this morning. If you haven't read him on Ruth I'd recommend doing it; there's so much good stuff in this little book!

"Boaz calls a court immediately.But why was Boaz so hasty, why so fond of the match? Ruth was not rich, but lived upon alms; not honorable, but a poor stranger. She was never said to be beautiful; if ever she had been so, we may suppose that weeping, and traveling, and gleaning, had withered her lilies and roses. But that which made Boaz in love with her, and solicitous to expedite the affair, was that all her neighbors agreed she was a virtuous woman. This set her price with him far above rubies (Prov. xxxi. 10); and therefore he thinks, if by marrying her he might do her a real kindness, he should also do himself a very great kindness. He will therefore bring it to a conclusion immediately."

"Our Lord Jesus is our Goel, our Redeemer, our everlasting Redeemer. He looked, like Boaz, with compassion on the deplorable state of fallen mankind. At a vast expense he redeemed the heavenly inheritance for us, which by sin was mortgaged, and forfeited into the hands of divine justice, and which we should never have been able to redeem. He likewise purchased a peculiar people, whom he would espouse to himself, though strangers and foreigners, like Ruth, poor and despised, that the name of that dead and buried race might not be cut off for ever. He ventured the marring of his own inheritance, to do this, for, though he was rich, yet for our sakes he became poor; but he was abundantly recompensed for it by his Father, who, because he thus humbled himself, hath highly exalted him, and given him a name above every name. Let us own our obligations to him, make sure our contract with him, and study all our days how to do him honor."

"Every creature and every condition are that to us, and no more, that God makes them to be."

"Ruth was a virtuous woman, and yet needed the prayers of her friends, that by the grace of God she might be made a blessing to the family she had come into."

"He that forsakes all for Christ shall find more than all with him; it shall be recompensed a hundred-fold in this present time. Boaz had prayed that this pious proselyte might receive a full reward of her courage and constancy from the God of Israel, under whose wings she had come to trust; and now he became an instrument of that kindness, which was an answer to his prayer, and helped to make his own words good. Now she had the command of those servants with whom she had associated and of those fields in which she had gleaned. Thus sometimes God raiseth up the poor out of the dust, to set them with princes, Ps. cxiii. 7, 8."

"See how God in his providence sometimes makes up the want and loss of those relations from whom we expected most comfort in those from whom we expected least. The bonds of love prove stronger than those of nature, and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother."


One of my favorite things~ little arms wrapped around my neck.


A few plans for the rest of the week ....
tomorrow is my day off and I'm going to spend it visiting with friends, Wed is church, mostly just normal work this week I think, but Lord willing (as long as it doesn't rain!) we'll be having our church picnic/Psalm sing on Saturday. I'll try to get some pictures - I know it's been awhile since I've posted any.



From my photo journal ~
a picture of my new book. I had the opportunity to spend some time in Pastor's library a couple weeks ago and as soon as I saw this book I knew I wanted it - it was so cool to be able to look up MH quotes on any subject! So I ordered my own copy:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1