Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fear

Fear has been on my mind lately...and if I'm thinking about it then that means it's time to see what God's word says about it (usually Matthew Henry is next:-), so I pulled out Strong's concordance (well I googled it) and did a little research. Here are some of the verses I came up with, if I had put in every verse I don't think anyone would get to the end of the post! I also tried to find out just how many times the Bible says, "fear not", without taking the time to count them myself. I found a couple different answers, but most places say that the KJV uses the phrase 65 times. Then to balance out the post I added some verses on good fear, the fear of God. I hope these verses will be a blessing to you too.

F

 ear not -



"After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward." Genesis 15:1

"Behold, the LORD thy God hath set the land before thee: go up and possess it, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath said unto thee; fear not, neither be discouraged." Deuteronomy 1:21

"Ye shall not fear them: for the LORD your God he shall fight for you." Deuteronomy 3:22

"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." Deuteronomy 31:6

"And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed." Deuteronomy 31:8

"And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman." Ruth 3:11

"And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son." 1 Kings 17:13

"And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them." 2 Kings 6:16

"And David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed: for the LORD God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD." 1 Chronicles 28:20

"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident." Psalm 27:1,3

"The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?" Psalm 118:6

"But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil." Proverbs 1:33

"The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe." Proverbs 29:25

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness...For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee." Isaiah 41:10,13

"But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine." Isaiah 43:1

"Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any." Isaiah 44:8

"Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more...In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee." Isaiah 54:4,14

"Therefore fear thou not, O my servant Jacob, saith the LORD; neither be dismayed, O Israel: for, lo, I will save thee from afar, and thy seed from the land of their captivity; and Jacob shall return, and shall be in rest, and be quiet, and none shall make him afraid." Jeremiah 30:10

"Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words." Daniel 10:12

"Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for the LORD will do great things." Joel 2:21

"In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem, Fear thou not: and to Zion, Let not thine hands be slack.The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing." Zephaniah 3:16-17

"Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows." Matthew 10:31

"And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people." Luke 2:10

"But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole." Luke 8:50

"Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." Luke 8:32

"Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace." Acts 18:9

"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father." Romans 8:15

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 1 Timothy 1:7

"So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me." Hebrews 13:6

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18

G

ood fear -



"O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! " Deuteronomy 5:29

"And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul." Deuteronomy 10:12

"That all the people of the earth might know the hand of the LORD, that it is mighty: that ye might fear the LORD your God for ever." Joshua 4:24

"Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you." 1 Samuel 12:24

"Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling." Psalm 2:11

"The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether." Psalm 19:9

"The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant." Psalm 25:14

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments." Psalm 111:10

"He will bless them that fear the LORD, both small and great." Psalm 115:13

"The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy." Psalm 147:11

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." Ecclesiastes 12:13

"And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation." Luke 1:50

"Then had the churches rest...and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied." Acts 9:31

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." Philippians 2:12

"Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name?" Revelation 15:4

1 comment:

  1. This post reminded me of when I was about 9 or 10 a Sunday School teacher of mine had everyone in the class look up at *least* 100 "do not be afraid" or "do not fear" verses and write them down. It took a while for me to do, but doing that is something that always stuck with me :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1