Wednesday, October 20, 2010

'I Wills' and more....

....is a rainy day in South Carolina. I think the children slept later since the house was so dark....when they finally did get up I commented that it was late and they needed to get right to work on math after breakfast.
Beka said, "But it's too dark outside to be late,"
I told her it was because it was raining, and she was like, "Rain?"
I said, "Yes, remember sometimes water sometimes falls from the sky...." 
Haha! Yes, it has been a very long time since it has rained here and we need it! I'm hoping it will clean some of the pollen/dust out of the air and give some relief to those of us who are suffering with allergies.

.....In other news we are still continuing to cough, I figured this morning that I have been coughing for 4 1/2 weeks now:-( Thankfully not as frequently, but bad when I do.

And so it begins...the first boxes are packed.
....the packing has begun! See some pictures - the beginning of the moving journal. Yesterday I spent the day at my brother's house (where most of my stuff is) sorting, organizing, getting rid of, and in general preparing to pack up and move. Tomorrow, Lord willing, I'll see the house that will become home, for the first time. Maybe I'll post some pictures of it on Friday.

Boxes to be packed.
....I'm baking pumpkin bread (see the recipe below), cooking a pot of chili, doing laundry, normal house work, and finding myself typing at this in 5 minute increments of time between jobs. Another busy day...

....I wanted to share this thought from today's Matthew Henry reading about David -
"God's providence ordered it wisely and graciously for him. For, besides that the snare was broken and he was delivered out of the dilemma to which he was first reduced, it proved a happy hastening of him to the relief of his own city, which sorely wanted him, though he did not know it. Thus the disgrace which the lords of the Philistines put upon him prove, in more ways than one, an advantage to him. The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and he delighteth in his way. What he does with us we know not now, but we shall know hereafter, and shall see it was all for good."

....I also wanted to share some about the book I have been reading -

I was able to borrow this from a friend and have found it very helpful and convicting. The author goes into select passages from the Psalms that have the phrase, 'I will', such as:

"As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me." Psalm 55:16

"What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee." 
Psalm 56:3
"Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit."
Psalm 28:1

"As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me. Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice."  
Psalm 55:16-17

"From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I." 
Psalm 61:2

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help."
Psalm 121:1

"O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is." 
Psalm 63:1

"I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD." 
Psalm 71:16

"Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name."
Psalm 86:11

"I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being." 
Psalm 104:33


He goes into the subjects the subjects of trust, prayer, the object of prayer, continuance in prayer, expectation in prayer, intensity in prayer, prayer in trouble, action, determination in action, heartiness in action, and finally praise, going through all the verses I copied above and more.
The chapters on action and praise were especially convicting to me when he talked about serving and praising God, giving all we have in service (like the widow with the two mites), and about how important it is to praise God. That most of us probably give 100 prayers for every time we ever offer praise. What really made me think was when he talked about giving praise here and now, not waiting till we aren't in pain, or circumstances get better, or we feel like it. That made me think of these verses from Psalm 69 -
"The name of God I with a song
most cheerfully will praise;
And I, in giving thanks to him,
his name shall highly raise.

This to the Lord a sacrifice
more gracious shall prove
Than bullock, ox, or any beast
that hath both horn and hoof.

When this the humble men shall see,
it joy to them shall give:
O all ye that do seek the Lord,
your hearts shall ever live."
I wish I could share some of the sections that I found helpful, but I can't find any of it online to copy and paste, and simply have too much 'action' of my own going on now to find time to type it. You'll have to read it for yourself! However below are two quotes I found from the chapter on 'praying in trouble' -

"But why not make our escape out of these valleys? Simply because we cannot; and because God never intended that we should be able to do so; His design towards us is, that we should be taught to lift up our eyes unto the hills; that we should journey through the valleys, looking up to higher ground for all needful help. What God often has in view for His children, is helping them in the valley, rather than helping them out of it (pp. 218-9)."

"In our trial time we must lift up our eyes; we must not try and pierce the far distance; we must not speculate; and derive our comfort from thoughts that matters may turn out in this way or that way; we must look above the valley . . . And how are we to lift up the eye, if it be not in prayer?- Prayer, in which God is distinctly seen, in which His willingness to help is abundantly realized and acknowledged; one moment's upturning of the eye in this way is of more practical value than the most earnest gaze into the future. Let us look up from the valley to God, and He will look down into the valley on us, and lead us through all its windings, all its gloom, to the point which He can see from His lofty throne, as the only one through which we can make our escape (p. 222)."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Pumpkin Cranberry Bread Recipe

Pumpkin Cranberry Nut Bread Recipe

Photo by: Taste of Home

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
  • 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin and orange peel (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder; add to pumpkin mixture just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and cranberries.
  • Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last of all a picture of Sammy at church last week - what a cute outfit, and even cuter little guy:-)



Sammy.
I hope everyone has a good rest of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1