Friday, November 19, 2010

Thank you!

I feel so blessed, loved, and thankful for all that everyone did yesterday to give me such a special birthday and wanted to say thank you to all of you!

Yesterday was our first reasonably quiet day since we have moved, pretty much all the boxes are unpacked, and most things are settled.....I actually had time to take a walk (it was so good to get some fresh air:-), and even pull out Matthew Henry who has been sadly neglected over the past couple weeks. Dozens of birthday greetings on facebook, cards, and chocolate:-) also made the day special.

In the evening the Es and I joined friends for dinner who surprised me with a delicious chocolate cake. My birthday evening was spent at church - it happened to be the date of our Quinquennial Visit, a Free Church tradition where the Presbytery visits the church every five years, kind of like a pastoral home visit to the whole congregation. Along with a question/answer time of discussion, we were blessed by an excellent sermon from Pastor Gardner on,

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. "
John 13:34-35

He spoke on loving one another, rejoicing with those who rejoice, weeping with those who weep, 'putting feet' on our love as Jesus did, serving one another, helping when there are needs... One thing he brought out that I had never noticed...normally I think of the verse where we are told to love our neighbor as ourselves, but this command is different, and far more difficult. To love others as Jesus loves us! Now that is a challenge. Anyway it was a very convicting sermon that gave me a lot to think about, and showed me that I have a long ways to go in loving others the way I should.

Also during the evening was a time of fellowship, and Jenny, her mom, and a couple other friends surprised me with birthday gifts - thank you all so much! When we got home I told Jenny that I felt very loved - the mark of a perfect birthday.

This evening my brothers are taking me out for a birthday dinner, then tonight I leave on the train for a two week vacation with family in Virginia. I'm going to miss everyone here a lot, but am excited about my trip too:-)

I hope everyone has a great day!



1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1