Friday, December 10, 2010

Anne of Green Gables...

Today's post is a little different than usual. When I was young (or maybe I should say younger:-) I loved L.M. Montgomery's books, especially the Anne of Green Gables series. I think I own most of her books which I'll pass along to my daughter someday if God gives me one......Anyways while looking for something else I stumbled across a site full of quotes from my old favorite books so decided to take a trip down memory lane and post a few of them. Some are  meant to be encouraging, others - just for fun;-)



"Tomorrow is fresh, with no mistakes in it." 


"We should regret our mistakes and learn from them, but never carry them forward into the future with us." 


"I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them." 


"Life is worth living as long as there's a laugh in it." 


"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." 


"Humor is the spiciest condiment in the feast of existence. Laugh at your mistakes but learn from them, joke over your troubles but gather strength from them, make a jest of your difficulties but overcome them." 



"Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it." 


"I doubt if I shall ever have time to read the book again -- there are too many new ones coming out all the time which I want to read. Yet an old book has something for me which no new book can ever have -- for at every reading the memories and atmosphere of other readings come back and I am reading old years as well as an old book." 


"It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will." 



"In this life you've got to hope for the best, prepare for the worst and take whatever God sends." 


"They keep coming up new all the time - things to perplex you, you know. You settle one question and there's another right after. There are so many things to be thought over and decided when you're beginning to grow up. It keeps me busy all the time thinking them over and deciding what's right. It's a serious thing to grow up, isn't it, Marilla?" 


"There is another bend in the road after this.No one knows what will happen." 


"When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does." 


"I know that in everybody's life must come days of depression and discouragement when all things in life seem to lose savour. The sunniest day has its clouds;but one must not forget the sun is there all the time."


"Night is beautiful when you are happy--comforting when you are in grief--terrible when you are lonely and unhappy." 


"There isn't any such thing as an ordinary life. "


"If you can't be cheerful, be as cheerful as you can." 


"Ruby Gillis thinks of nothing but young men, and the older she gets the worse she is. Young men are all very well in their place, but it doesn't do to drag them into everything, does it?" 


"After all, it was nicer to be loved than to be rich and admired and famous." 


"You were never poor as long as you had something to love." 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1