Thursday, February 10, 2011

Consider the work of God...

   Our sermon at prayer meeting last night reminded me of this post from Elisabeth Elliot that I had sitting in my drafts folder (yes, whenever I read something I good I stick it in my folder to eventually publish...that's why I never run out of stuff to say:-). Anyways I really appreciated the reminder to study and see God's hand in everything that happens to us, and what I shared below particularly reminded me of what we were taught last night about reading providence backwards. Listen to the sermon for more....

Studying Providence, Pt 2
www.sermonaudio.com
Robert McCurley | Greenville Presbyterian Church  


 
 
"Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which he hath made crooked?
In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: God also hath set the one over against the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him." 
Ecclesiastes 7:13-14


W hen trouble comes we are tempted to think that God has forgotten us. He never forgets. He keeps faith - that is he keeps His promises, is faithful to His word, even when it appears that we are forsaken.
Joseph suffered one disaster after another. When because of the vicious lie of a rejected woman he was put in prison, the Lord was with him there, keeping faith (But the LORD was with Joseph, and shewed him mercy..Genesis 39:11). Perhaps Joseph wondered why Almighty God could not have prevented the woman's triumphing over him - or prevented his ever having been victimized by his brothers in the first place and thus being at this woman's mercy. But we are given the complete picture which Joseph did not have while he was in prison - the amazing purpose of God for His chosen people, Jacob and all his family, who because of Joseph's long-drawn-out-sufferings, were saved. God keeps faith - He has a perfect blueprint, and He is building according to His specifications.
~ A Lamp For My Feet by Elisabeth Elliot



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1