Thursday, February 17, 2011

God's providence

"He hath made all His promises good to me and hath filled up all the blanks with His own hand."
Samuel Rutherford

Last night we finished a series of sermons on the doctrine of providence that we've been studying for the past few months. This series was such a blessing for me and very timely as there have been plenty of times I've wanted to ask why over the past few months. It's so comforting to remember the Lord has planned everything, and is behind everything that is happening to us, sickness, difficult people, disappointments... Knowing nothing is a mistake, and it's all for good takes away fear and uncertainty. I shared the picture above because of something Pastor said last night, that we should be willing to let our lives be as a blank piece of paper for the Lord to write on, rather than what we tend to do, which is give Him a list of just the way we think things should be. Very true, for me at least! And now I should get back to the work that providentially is mine today... whether I'm cooking, doing laundry, spending time with a little one, helping a little friend, or packing suitcases....it's good to know I'm doing what the Lord has planned for me.


Living in Light of Providence
www.sermonaudio.com
Robert McCurley | Greenville Presbyterian Church

"Providence hath a thousand keys to open a thousand sundry doors for the deliverance of His own....let us be faithful and care for our own part, which is to do and suffer for Him, and lay Christ's part on Himself, and leave it there; duties are ours, events are the Lord's."
Samuel Rutherford


Share |

2 comments:

  1. That series of sermons sounds incredible. I too struggle with asking why? instead of just allowing it what God has planned to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was our topic this week at our small group meeting. Great post Stefanie.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1