Saturday, February 26, 2011

A woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. ...

I know I already posted today, but I wanted to share something more. This afternoon while taking a walk, I listened to Pastor McCurley's sermon Lessons From The Life of David Brainerd  (for more on David Brainerd go here ). After a second listening, I found myself this time, interested in learning more about Jerusha Edwards, the young woman who nursed him when he was dying. I came across this article  on her which is what I was wanting to share. Imagine leaving this as your legacy?!


She was a person of much the same spirit with David Brainerd.  She had constantly taken care of, and tended him in his sickness, for nineteen weeks before his death; devoting herself to it with great delight, because she looked on him as an eminent servant of Jesus Christ.  In this time he had much conversation with her on things of religion; and in his dying state, often expressed to us, her parents, his great satisfaction concerning her true piety, and his confidence that he would meet her in heaven; and his high opinion of her, not only as a true Christian, but a very eminent saint; one whose soul was uncommonly fed and entertained with things that appertain to the most spiritual, experimental, and distinguishing parts of religion; and one who by the temper of her mind was fitted to deny herself for God, and to do good, beyond any young woman whatsoever that he knew of.  She had manifested a heart uncommonly devoted to God, in the course of her life, many years before her death; and said on her deathbed that she had not seen one minute for several years wherein she desired  to live one minute longer for the sake of any other good in life but doing good, living to God, and doing what might be for his glory.

2 comments:

  1. What a testimony. I remember reading this as a teenager and thinking that if I ever had a daughter I would call her Jerusha. I do have daughters but they aren't called Jerusha.
    Found your blog via Texan Rose. I'm reading from the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for introducing yourself, it's always fun finding out where readers come from.
    I've chosen some names for my future children, Lord willing, but we'll see whether they get used:-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1