Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Detours....

W hen Pharaoh let the people go, "God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near....But God led the people about, through the way of the wilderness of the Red Sea." The direct route would save time as well as wear and tear on the people, but God had something infinitely more important than economics in mind. He wanted the people to sing the song of praise in Exodus chapter 15, "The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him." They sang this song because they had first hand experience of God's power and deliverance. Pursued by all the chariots and horses, cavalry and infantry of Egypt, they had passed through the Red Sea in safety and seen the enemy drowned. They would have missed this glorious lesson if they had taken the short road. When we are puzzled by delays and detours, let us think about the purpose of our lives: to glorify God. The lessons He teaches us "in the wilderness" are priceless means of providing us with a song we could not otherwise have sung, "Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people which thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided them in thy strength unto thy holy habitation." Exodus 15;13
~ A Lamp For My Feet by Elisabeth Elliot



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1