Thursday, March 31, 2011

Facing Grief...

"...It is as easy for the Lord to revive as it is to remove your comforts. There is a sweet expression this purpose in Psalm 18:28:


"For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness."

i was so bored that i watched a candle burnFor every comfortable enjoyment, whether it be in relations, estate, health, or friends is a candle lighted by providence for our comfort in this world, and they are but candles, which will not always last: and those that last longest will be consumed and wasted at last; but often it falls out with them as with candles; they are blown out before they are half consumed; yea, almost as soon as lighted up; and then we are in darkness for the present.

It is a dark hour with us, when these comforts are put out; but David's faith did, and ours may, comfort us with this, that He that blew out the candle can light up another. "For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness." That is, the Lord will renew my comforts, alter the present sad estate I am in, and chase away that trouble and darkness which at present lie upon me; only beware of offending Him, at whose beck your lights and comforts come and go.

Hannah waited humbly upon the Lord for the blessing of children, and the Lord remembered her, He enlightened her condition with that comfort when she was a lamp despised. There is no comfort you have lost, but God can restore, yea, double it in kind, if he sees it convenient for you.

from Facing Grief by John Flavel

Today I am linking up at Thought Provoking Thursday 
and at Serenity Now.



3 comments:

  1. Saw you at Serenity Now. Sounds like an interesting book, I'll have to be on the lookout for it.

    I have really liked the devotional "50 Days in Heaven" by Randy Alcorn. Really makes you look forward to heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought-provoking indeed! Thanks for the reminder that He is there, waiting to offer comfort. :)

    Thank you for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Hope you'll visit me at Serenity Now again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came via Amanda's linky party.

    I have never read that verse, or if I have it never stood out like that. What a beautiful concept that He lights another.

    When my Mimi died who was like a parent to me, it was so difficult, but when my little boy was born 3 months later, it restored my joy.

    Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1