Saturday, March 26, 2011

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me."

I needed to read this today. This morning I came home from working full of plans for all I wanted to accomplish......but due to circumstances beyond my control I realized my day was going to be different than I had planned so.....I must 'take up my cross', or in other words, get to work! Another major opportunity for sanctification.

The Lord Is Good


Jesus asks us to take up the cross - to take it up daily. What does this mean? Surely it is the quiet acceptance of disappointments, the willing performance of some hard task we'd prefer to avoid or some small duty which is distasteful to us. It is forgiveness to that one who has deeply wronged us and not apologized (the Lord tells us to forgive those who trespass, not only those who apologize!)

The cross is offered to us every day in some form, at times comparatively trivial, at other times real suffering, but it is always something which slashes straight across our human nature, for the cross was an instrument of torture. Paul knew far more about crosses than most of us will ever know. He said,
"..being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it: Being defamed, we entreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day." 
1 Corinthians 4:13

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." 
Galatians 2:20

~ Elisabeth Elliot

Today I'm linking up at the Weekend Wander.





2 comments:

  1. Hey following you from the hop. Hope you'll come visit. http://hisperfectpromises.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1