Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Snapshots of favorite books...

Today I am participating in Snapshots of Favorite Books over at Young Ladies Christian Fellowship which happens to be one of my favorite websites, and at In The Bookcase, where we are sharing favorites from our bookshelves.Of course books are one of my favorite topics, so this should be fun!

March of Books 2011 at ylcf.orgSharing Our Bookshelves @ In the Bookcase







I'm supposed to share my favorite book....now how do I choose just one...? Belle is probably my favorite Disney princess - I can relate to how much she loves books (I just love the scene when the Beast gives her his library -  that would be a good clue that he was 'the one':-) Love this conversation -
"Bookseller:] Ah, Belle.
[Belle:] Good Morning. I've come to return the book I borrowed.
[Bookseller:] Finished already?
...[Belle:] Oh, I couldn't put it down. Have you got anything new?
[Bookseller:] Ha Ha! Not since yesterday.
[Belle:] That's all right. I'll borrow . . . . . this one!
[Bookseller:] That one? But you've read it twice!
[Belle:] Well, it's my favorite!"






As I said I really don't know how to choose a favorite, but everyone who reads my blog will know how much I love Matthew Henry, and how blessed I have been as I have been reading my way through him over the past 14 months.
Another book that has been a blessing to me recently is this one. It reminded me a bit of Pilgrim's Progress as it is also an allegory about a person following Christ, only in this story we have a young woman named Much-Afraid, rather than Bunyan's Christian. In the story, main character, Much-Afraid, takes a journey up a rocky mountainside for which she must develop “hinds’ feet” to reach the “high places.” She is encouraged on her way by the Chief Shepherd, who comes to her aid whenever she calls, and is accompanied by the companions he chose for her, Sorrow and Suffering. The theme of this book is crucifying your own will for that of your Lord.  Every acceptance of His will is an altar of sacrifice to Him, and each abandoning of her desires and will brings her closer to the High Places. I could relate to so much of this book. 
Lastly how could I do a post on favorite books without including the Psalms? I love the Psalms; they are probably my favorite part of the Bible (where I find myself the most anyway), and am so thankful to be in a church that sings them. Truly as John Calvin said, 'they are an anatomy of the soul.'
I could share so many more that I've read and enjoyed - books by Elisabeth Elliot, many different ones by the Puritans, I think especially of The Letters of Samuel Rutherford,  The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment, and The Mystery of Providence, then there is favorite Christian fiction such as The Mark of The Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers, and The Thorn in My Heart series by Liz Higgs, and old favorites, like The Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Anne of Green Gables, and more.......but this post is long enough.....




4 comments:

  1. Hind's Feet on High Places is one of my treasures, too. How I love the beautiful lessons of surrender and trust that it teaches!

    Thank you for sharing some of your favorites with us, Stefanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many good books to read, aren't there? I'm so glad you mentioned the Psalms! My church sings some Psalms, and I have developed an appreciation for these truly ancient hymns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello ~ I found you from the YCLF link-up. I'm participating on my blog too.

    The Matthew Henry books are a favorite in my family. You have a Scottish Psalmody book?--How exciting! I have a bit of an interest in things pertaining to Scotland, and I think that book is a great find.

    "Hinds' Feet on High Places" is one that a lot of my friends recommend, but I actually never knew the summary of the story until I read what you wrote. I'm more interested than ever to get this book now!

    Blessings,
    ~ Tarissa
    http://InTheBookcase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you all.
    Tarissa, it's a Scottish Psalter and actually owned by my church - we sing the Psalms exclusively. You can order Psalters from the Trinitarian Book Society.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1