Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Take up your cross....

"....The world must be shown. There has to be some living proof that some men and women love God and will do exactly what He says. My husband and I have been in India, China, Mongolia, and many other countries, In each country we meet people, who because of the story of five American missionaries killed by the Aucas, have committed themselves unreservedly to Christ....so while we live and work the world must be shown clearly, uncompromisingly, unapologetically as Daniel, Paul, and five young missionaries, and Jesus Himself demonstrated - that we love God and will by His grace obey.

For most of us it will not mean lion's dens, or Auca's spears, or imprisonment, but it will mean a daily, faithful, humble, glad obedience to the same Lord who has held steady all those who commit themselves to Him. It will mean the choice between faith and unbelief, between being honest on your income tax or cheating just a little, between keeping your virginity till marriage or giving it away to someone you aren't married to. It will mean the willingness to stand against what everybody is doing and what everybody says is ok. It will mean the surrender of what the world calls safety, and the acceptance of whatever sacrifice and suffering God may choose to send. He is not finished with any of us. He assigns me new lessons every day. When I have disobeyed it has led to misery. When I have obeyed it has brought me joy. The story is God's story. The end will be glorious beyond our wildest dreams - for those who put their trust in Him. ...Do it! Deny yourself, take up the cross and follow Him - the world must see in us a discernible, visible, startling difference.

Put your trust in Him. Not in people or circumstances, or programs, or dreams or plans. Not in any human notion of what will or won't happen, but in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, of Daniel, and of all the others - the God whose Son went through the darkest valleys so that you and I might be saved. If somebody was willing to give his life for you would you trust him? Of course you would. Jesus loved you then, He loves you now. He'll be loving you every minute of every day of the rest of your life, and no matter what happens nothing can separate you from that love. I know it's true. I have found a sure and steadfast refuge in my Lord and Savior - the only real safety - the Everlasting Arms. I've walked with God a long time. I know He keeps His promises."

~  Elisabeth Elliot.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1