Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Thy word I in my heart have hid....

Yesterday I picked up Mine Is the Night by Liz Curtis Higgs at the library. Her Thorn In My Heart series is some of my favorite Christian fiction so I've been looking forward to reading a new one by her. One thing I enjoy about reading her stories, set in the 1700s in Scotland, is the references to Psalm singing, to precenters...it makes me wonder how many people who read the books have experienced what she is talking about - I'm blessed to have myself:-). Anyway I enjoyed this section that I'm sharing below as I could relate to the way she felt about the Psalms. It's a blessing to have them buried inside you, as the author puts it.


"I remember Thee upon my bed, and meditate on Thee in the night watches.." Since last winter she'd consumed the Psalms and fed on them till the words had become her daily bread, feeding her soul, nourishing her mind. When the family Bible was out of reach, or the firelight dim, she could draw upon His holy truth buried inside of her.
The words came swiftly, silently, yet surely.
"My soul followeth hard after Thee.." Her heart stirred at the thought. The Lord had led her here...of that she was certain. Now came the harder task: resting in the knowledge that He'd brought her here for some good purpose.
"Thy right hand upholdeth me.." If the Almighty supported her, might she not support others?"


By the way the rest of the book has been good too, though there hasn't been time to finish it yet. If you enjoy historical fiction you should check it out!

Today I'm linking up at ~



Weekend Bloggy Reading


3 comments:

  1. I am glad it took me a while to get over to your post. I needed to read this. I have three books I am trying to get through, but I would love to add this one to my list. Thank you for sharing it Stefanie, and for linking it to NOBH. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scotland and 1700's I think I am going to look that author up:) Thanks. I am your newest follower; I hope you can visit me sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first one in this new series, and it was great!!! I love her allusion to the Ruth/Naomi story. Can't wait to pick this one up too. :)

    Thank you so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Have fun finding a new blog friend or two, and I hope you'll visit me at Serenity Now again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1