Saturday, April 30, 2011

More on kind words...

 Working my way through Matthew Henry on Job I came across more on kind words in chapter 16, and decided to do a part 2 on this subject (go here  to read the first post). This got me thinking and I hope it will be helpful to others too.

 

 

 ‎"Then Job answered and said, I have heard many such things: miserable comforters are ye all....This Job thinks as great a trial of his patience as almost any of his troubles..What Job says here of his friends is true of all creatures, in comparison with God, and, one time or other, we shall be made to see it and own it, that miserable comforters are they all."

This verse and  quote kind of made me laugh when I read them - haven't we all had occasions where we might have wanted (but didn't dare) to say something similar?!

 

 

It is natural to sufferers to think what they would do if the tables were turned. But perhaps our hearts may deceive us; we know not what we should do. We find it easier to discern the reasonableness and importance of a command when we have occasion to claim the benefit of it than when we have occasion to do the duty of it. See what is the duty we owe to our brethren in their affliction. 

[1.] We should say and do all we can to strengthen them, suggesting to them such considerations as are proper to encourage their confidence in God and to support their sinking spirits. Faith and patience are the strength of the afflicted; whatever helps these graces confirms the feeble knees.

[2.] To assuage their grief—the causes of their grief, if possible, or at least their resentment of those causes. Good words cost nothing; but they may be of good service to those that are in sorrow, not only as it is some comfort to them to see their friends concerned for them, but as they may be so reminded of that which, through the prevalency of grief, was forgotten. Though hard words (we say) break no bones, yet kind words may help to make broken bones rejoice; and those have the tongue of the learned that know how to speak a word in season to the weary.

Last of all remembering this:


"Every creature is that to us (kind or unkind, comfortable or uncomfortable) which God makes it to be."

The Lord's hand is behind everything that is said and done to us. I think it's very helpful to remember that!



Words Matter










 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing that, Stefanie. There are indeed many miserable comforters, and I think it is because we often don't think very hard about what is going on. We want to fix things and provide answers, but sometimes it is hard to really grasp the fact that we don't always know and we can't always fix.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1