Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thoughts on Nehemiah

Over this past week I've finished going through Nehemiah in the Matthew Henry Challenge Reading. Only a few more chapters to go in Esther and I'll have finished volume 2! Before I  leave Nehemiah behind me though I wanted to share a few more quotes.....studying through this book was a blessing. And now I'm off to the Es..just got the call that Jenny is in labor..I'll keep you all posted!

Glass of Water"Whatever is given to the work of God, He is not unrighteous to forget it; nor shall even a cup of cold water, wherewith he is honored, go without its reward."

‎"Deeds done for the house of God and the offices of it, for the support of religion and the encouragement of it, are good deeds. There is both righteousness and godliness in them, and God will certainly remember them, and not wipe them out; they shall in no wise lose their reward."


"This cheerfulness in promising was well, but that which follows was better: They did according to this promise, and adhered to what they had done....Good promises are good things, but good performances are all in all."


"He concludes with a prayer: Think upon me, my God, for good....He mentions it to God in prayer, not as if he thought he had hereby merited any favor from God, as a debt, but to show that he looked not for any recompense of his generosity from men, but depended upon God only to make up to him what he had lost and laid out for his honor; and he reckoned the favor of God reward enough. "If God do but think upon me for good, I have enough."


"Now therefore, O God! strengthen my hands. It is the great support and relief of good people that in all their straits and difficulties they have a good God to go to, from whom, by faith and prayer, they may fetch in grace to silence their fears and strengthen their hands when their enemies are endeavoring to fill them with fears and weaken their hands. When, in our Christian work and warfare, we are entering upon any particular services or conflicts, this is a good prayer for us to put up: "I have such a duty to do, such a temptation to grapple with; now therefore, O God! strengthen my hands."

"He concludes this passage with a prayer....Remember me (as the thief on the cross, Lord, remember me); that is enough. God's thoughts to us ward are very precious...God's mercy is what we must depend upon, and not any merit of our own, when we appear before God."

Matthew Henry 

Today I'm linking up at Thought Provoking Thursdays



1 comment:

  1. Hey Stef! Just wondering if there were any updates on Jenny. I knew FB was probably being updated but since I don't have it I've been stalking my email inbox and your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1