Thursday, April 28, 2011

Seasons...

"If thou prepare thine heart, and stretch out thine hands toward him;  If iniquity be in thine hand, put it far away, and let not wickedness dwell in thy tabernacles. For then shalt thou lift up thy face without spot; yea, thou shalt be stedfast, and shalt not fear:  Because thou shalt forget thy misery, and remember it as waters that pass away: And thine age shall be clearer than the noonday; thou shalt shine forth, thou shalt be as the morning.  And thou shalt be secure, because there is hope; yea, thou shalt dig about thee, and thou shalt take thy rest in safety. Also thou shalt lie down, and none shall make thee afraid; yea, many shall make suit unto thee." 
 Job 11:13-19

"The wounds of thy present affliction shall be perfectly healed, not only without a remaining scar, but without a remaining pain.....Those who have a good hope, through grace, in God, and of heaven, are certainly safe, and have reason to be secure, how difficult soever the times are through which they pass in this world. He that walks uprightly may thus walk surely, because, though there are trouble and danger, yet there is hope that all will be well at last. Hope is an anchor of the soul."
Matthew Henry

The other morning I read these verses while going through my Matthew Henry reading on Job 11 and was encouraged. Maybe one wouldn't expect encouragement while reading Job, but if you look for it, you may find it:-). I especially loved the verse in bold above, it's such a beautiful picture of forgetting. As I've mentioned recently it seems so often in my reading  there's been a theme of forgetting pain, of hope for joy to come. Hoping can be hard (Hope deferred maketh the heart sick), and it made me think of something people often say during hard times, 'It's just a season." That frustrates makes me wonder a little because we don't know for sure it's a season, or if this is how life will be...anyway the thought had me pulling out my concordance and checking out what the Bible had to say about seasons. This passage from Ecclesiastes of course immediately came to mind, but I included a few others as well. It is true the idea of seasons of joy and sadness is certainly seen in the Bible, so today I'm thankful for the comfort and promises in these verses.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance."
Ecclesiastes 3:1,4

"Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning....Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness."
Psalm 30:5,11

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him."
Psalm 126:5-6

"And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power."
Acts 1:7

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
Galatians 6:9


Linking up today at Thankful Thursday, and Thought Provoking Thursday.


Share |

2 comments:

  1. Found you through Thought-provoking Thursday....thankful I did! My Mother had me read Job to her while she was in the hospital (just before she died). It was so difficult for me to read that toher,but it helped her......and now, that book has a special place in my heart. Thank you for sharing this today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray the season you are walking in would be fruitful. I love the verses you share showing that our times of sorrow truly are seasons, we have that promise.

    Found you through thought provoking thursday.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1