Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"She opens her mouth with wisdom, And on her tongue is the law of kindness. ...

How much we can hurt others with what we do, or don't say has been on my mind a lot lately along with the fact that several things I've been reading have talked about this subject. When that happens whatever it is I'm thinking about usually shows up on here as you all know:-) Though this post was not written with anyone in particular in mind.....you all have probably had times, like me, where you think, "I can not believe they just said that!" On the flip side I've been blessed with some good friends that I can safely share my heart with.....and I was so blessed to recently have a friend tell me I've never said anything hurtful to her. I wish everyone I knew could say that, but sadly I know it wouldn't be true.
To my mind this doesn't just apply to the spoken word, but the written as well. I've personally found if I'm feeling upset, along with biting my tongue, it's best just to stay away from facebook for a time. It's too easy to 'vent' and complain publicly...and having to write emails of apology is not going to make you feel any better from whatever was upsetting in the first place!
I thought this blog had some good thoughts on how to handle painful comments -

"....pray for  a heart of forgiveness and grace, for those who offend and wound with their words.
Words we’ve all heard…
Words that while, perhaps, well intentioned, hurt…
words that cut and wound heart and spirit….
words that are uninformed…
words that are simply silly…
When the words have been spoken…
the wounds inflicted …
and again you lay broken…
gaping and bleeding….
May you forgive as He’s forgiven you.
After all, the ones speaking are just sinful, broken, hurting people, too."


 I loved this quote from Matthew Henry on the subject -

"We ought to be afraid of grieving any, especially those that are already in grief, lest we add affliction to the afflicted."

 

Then my friend shared this by Blaise Pascal on his blog.


"Kind words, though they do not cost much, yet they accomplish much. They never blister the tongue or lips. And we have never heard of any mental trouble arising from this quarter. They help one's own good-nature and good-will. Soft words soften our own soul. Angry words are fuel to the flame of wrath, and make it blaze more freely. Kind words make other people good-natured. Cold words freeze people, and hot words scorch them, and bitter words make them bitter, and wrathful words make them wrathful. There is such a rush of all other kinds of words in our days, that it seems desirable to give kind words a chance among them. There are vain words, and idle words, and hasty words, and spiteful words, and silly words, and empty words, and profane words, and boisterous words, and warlike words. Kind words also produce their image on men's souls. And a beautiful image it is. They smooth, and quiet, and comfort the hearer. They shame him out of his sour, morose, unkind feelings. We have not yet begun to use kind words in such abundance as they ought to be used."


Praying that all our words will be kind, profitable, and edifying today!





Weekend Bloggy Reading


Featured At Serenity Now

Words Matter Link up.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this on words. I've been the receipent of harsh words and sometimes have a really hard time coming to grips with them. The words of Pascal really spoke to me.
    First time visiting your blog--really enjoyed it.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and so true how our words and actions can make or break a person's heart and soul! Thank you for sharing on NOBH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stefanie, I enjoyed reading this encouraging post. Thank you for sharing it! I featured it this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post. Sometimes we need to be reminded for things that we already know until they become our habits. When that happens, we will have no reasons to kick them at all. Have a wonderful weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1