Friday, April 15, 2011

This and that....

Ihope everyone has had a good week! This post is made up of random things I wanted to share, some pictures, some quotes, some thoughts etc, etc. It's been a very busy week here, a new baby, family visiting, a congregational meeting and election for elder at church, plus communion season, and friends visiting from VA (to preach at our communion season). All good, but I think we're all going to be ready to slow down next week - and hopefully we can:-)

 

 In other news I just completed the second volume of Matthew Henry's commentary! That's 16 months of reading for the first two, with four more to go. Most likely I'll be posting quotes for a long time to come....:-). I'm definitely  looking forward to book 3  because it contains the Psalms, but for now I'm in Job. Below I shared a couple quotes I read recently that I liked, and that fit in with a theme that I've been noticing in my reading lately about joy to come. For the Christian it may not be till heaven, or maybe it will be in this life like it was for Job, and the Jews in the story of Esther, but either way it is encouraging to me. Another thought along those lines is this verse from Proverbs 31 - "Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come." I think waiting on the Lord in this, as Matthew Henry says, "When we are disappointed and discouraged in our expectations...then to go on with cheerfulness, confiding in the divine power, this is giving glory to God, by believing against hope, in hope," is where one truly experiences what it means to "go on in strength of the Lord."

 

"He adores God even in taking away, and gives him honor by a willing submission; nay, he gives him thanks for good designed him by his afflictions, for gracious supports under his afflictions, and the believing hopes he had of a happy issue at last."

 

‎"The Jews, who awhile ago were under a dark cloud, dejected and disgraced, now had light and gladness, joy and honor....If they had not been threatened and in distress they would not have had occasion for this extraordinary joy. Thus are God's people sometimes made to sow in tears that they may reap in so much the more joy. The suddenness and strangeness of the turn of affairs in their favor added much to their joy." 

Matthew Henry

 

And now for a couple pictures of the two new guys in my life:-) Aren't they cute?


Matthew

Julian

If you're still reading (!) please stop by my store page - I'm offering free shipping right now!














No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1