Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Valley of Humiliation

I've been thinking a lot about being in the valley of humiliation lately, but after reading this have concluded maybe it's not such a bad place to be!

"Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame.... For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee"
Verses from Isaiah 54 

Going to the Sun U-Valley"...Now they began to go down the hill into the Valley of Humiliation. It was a steep hill, and the way was slippery; but they were very careful, so they got down pretty well... Then said Mr. Great-heart, "We need not to be so afraid of this Valley, for here is nothing to hurt us, unless we procure it to ourselves..... It is the best and most useful  piece of ground in all those parts. It is fat ground, and, as you see, consisteth much in meadows; and if a man were to come here in the summer-time, as we do now, if he knew not anything before, thereof, and if he also delighted himself in the sight of his eyes, he might see that that would be delightful to him. Behold how green this Valley is, also how beautified with lilies‌‌ (Song. 2:1). I have also known many labouring men that have got good estates in this Valley of Humiliation (“for God resisteth the proud, but gives grace unto the humble,” (James 4:6; 1 Peter 5:5), for indeed it is a very fruitful soil. Some also have wished, that the next way to their Father’s house were here, that they might be troubled no more with either hills or mountains to go over; but the way is the way, and there is an end.‌

Now, as they were going along and talking, they espied a boy feeding his father’s sheep. The boy was in very poor clothes, but of a very fresh and well-favoured countenance; and as he sat by himself, he sang." Hark," said Mr. Great-heart, "to what the shepherd’s boy saith." So they hearkened, and he said—

"He that is down needs fear no fall;

He that is low, no pride;

He that is humble, ever shall

Have God to be his guide.
(Phil. 4:12, 13)

I am content with what I have,

Little be it, or much;

And, Lord, contentment still I crave,

Because Thou savest such.

Fullness to such a burden is,

That go on pilgrimage;

Here little, and hereafter bliss,

Is best from age to age.‌
‌(Heb. 13:5)

In this Valley our Lord formerly had His country house; He loved much to be here; He loved also to walk these meadows, for He found the air was pleasant.‌ Besides, here a man shall be free from the noise, and from the hurryings of this life. All states are full of noise and confusion, only the Valley of Humiliation is that empty and solitary place. Here a man shall not be so let and hindered in his contemplation, as in other places he is apt to be.  

This is a Valley that nobody walks in, but those that love a pilgrim’s life. 

I must tell you, that in former times men have met with angels here, have found pearls here, and have in this place found the words of life‌ (Hosea 12:4, 5).....

"Then," said Mercy, "I think I am as well in this Valley, as I have been anywhere else in all our journey; the place, methinks, suits with my spirit. I love to be in such places ...here one may, without much molestation, be thinking what he is, whence he came, what he has done, and to what the King has called him; here one may think, and break at heart, and melt in one’s spirit, until one’s eyes become like “the fish-pools of Heshbon” (Song. 7:4). They that go rightly through this Valley of Baca, make it a well, the rain that God sends down from Heaven upon them that are here, also filleth the pools (Psa. 84:6, 7). This Valley is that from whence also the King will give to His their vineyards (Hosea 2:15); and they that go through it, shall sing, as Christian did."

"It is true," said Great Heart, their guide, "I have gone through this Valley many a time, and never was better than when here.I have also been a conductor to several pilgrims, and they have confessed the same. “To this man will I look (saith the King), even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at My Word”‌ (Isa. 66:2).




1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful and inspiring post! Thank you for linking it up to NOBH and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1