Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A virtuous woman...

I think you all know I love Matthew Henry (ok, both Matthew Henrys:-) so I was so happy to be given his book of daily readings by friends. It's set up as a devotional with a page for every day with his thoughts on a verse, or verses.....and is also a very pretty little leather bound book. I know I'll enjoy reading through it - thanks Travis and Annie! Below I shared one part I read the other evening.

 "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies."
Proverbs 31:10

A virtuous woman is a woman of spirit, who has the command of her own spirit and knows how to mange her affairs, one that is pious and industrious, and a help meet for a man. In opposition to this strength we read of the weakness of the heart of an imperious whorish woman (Ezekiel 16:30). A virtuous woman is woman of resolution, who having espoused good principles, is firm and steady to them, and will not be frightened with winds and clouds from any part of her duty. The difficulty of meeting with such a one: "Who can find her?" This intimates that  good women are very scarce, and many that seem to be so do not prove so; he that thought he had found a virtuous woman was deceived; "Behold it was Leah," and not the Rachel he expected. But he that designs to marry ought to seek diligently for such a one, to have this principally in his eye, in all his enquiries, and to take heed that he not be biased by beauty or elegance, wealth or parentage, dressing well...for all these may be and yet the woman not be virtuous, and there is many a woman truly virtuous who yet is not recommended by these advantages. The unspeakable worth of such a one, and the value which he that has such a wife ought to put upon her, showing it by his thankfulness to God, and his kindness and respect to her, whom he must never think he can do too much for. Her price is far above rubies and all the rich ornaments which women adorn themselves. The more rare such good wives are, the more they are to be valued.
Matthew Henry






Soli Deo Gloria


1 comment:

  1. I love Proverbs 31 and this devotional was so uplifting and full of kindness. So thankful you shared it at Soli Deo Gloria.

    I hope you are blessed by this community. We'd love to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1