Saturday, April 23, 2011

Where to look....

“‘You have a traitor there, Aslan,’ said the Witch. Of course everyone present knew that she meant Edmund. But Edmund had got past thinking of himself after all that he’d been through and after the talk he’d had that morning. He just went on looking at Aslan. It didn’t seem to matter what the Witch said.”
-C.S. Lewis; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

I saw this quote yesterday on a blog I follow and it stuck with me. (I'm guessing most of you all have read the Chronicles of Narnia and are familiar with the story, how Edmund is a traitor, and by rights belongs to the witch, how Aslan saved him and had a talk with him that no one ever heard, but he never forgot.) I love the line "But Edmund had got past thinking of himself after all that he’d been through and after the talk he’d had that morning. He just went on looking at Aslan." It was an encouraging  reminder to me to keep my eyes on the Lord so I wanted to share it with you all! It reminded me of these verses:

"Mine eyes are ever toward the LORD."
Psalm 25:15

"For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth."
Psalm 26:3

"...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,  Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith."
Hebrews 12:1b-2a


and also left me thinking about what keeping my eyes on the Lord means in day to day life. To my mind it means thinking more about what will bring glory to God than my own comfort, or what I want, drawing near to God whenever I have opportunity through the public means of grace, as well as in private worship, filling my mind with good things by listening to sermons and Psalms while I work, really keeping all He has done for me in my mind.....waiting on Him, following after Him ("My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me." Psalm 63:8), and seeing His hand in all that happens, but I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on this. This post also made me think of this quote by Andrew Bonar that I love:

"There is reward for thinking upon His name (Malachi 3:16). That is a quiet way of serving God that is open to everyone."

I hope everyone has a blessed day!

Linking up at Imperfect Prose,
and Blog and Share.


5 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post! The Chronicles of Narnia are some of my favorite stories because of the similarities with the story of Christ. Thanks for the sweet thoughts! Happy Easter!

    I'm new to your blog! I found you on FTLOB and can't wait to read more! Feel free to check out my blog as well!

    Simply Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Chronicles of Narnia Stefanie! The power of forgiveness is a powerful thing! Have a Blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello dear stefanie... i'm so glad you linked up. this is a beautiful post... i've really been learning what it means to behold Jesus; to look at him deep, and not turn away. thank you for this reminder! i hope you'll keep sharing with imperfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He just went on looking at Aslan. It didn’t seem to matter what the Witch said.”

    I've had some old songs playing this week in my head, ugly pain filled songs. I've been trying to figure out how to turn the volume down and I think you've given me a great clue here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1