Monday, May 2, 2011

And the Lord remembered Hannah....

This morning I want to share our sermon from yesterday's afternoon service. I was excited when I found out we were going to be studying through the book of 1 Samuel next. I love the stories of Hannah, and of Ruth especially. It's encouraging to me to read of other women who loved the Lord, who were trying to glorify Him with their lives, and to realize they were real people with very real and painful problems, yet seeing how the Lord answered prayers and took care of them. It gives me hope. Anyway the sermon on 1 Samuel 1:1-20 was a blessing and encouragement to me, definitely one I'll download and listen to again! Here are a few of my 'mental notes' from it:

"God loves to take something that is perplexed, helpless, without ability, without resources - hopeless, and in the context he begins to move to demonstrate his power his glory and to bring about good. This is the Lord's way.....wisdom and goodness. We should never be so foolish as to believe a situation is too complicated, or hard for God.

We need to, as Hannah did, look beyond second causes, and look to God, realize the Lord is behind these painful and difficult things. God wants us to look beyond human resources and look to Him. Hannah, having reached the point of realizing it was the Lord,  petitions Him, weeps before Him, and gives Him the desire, and burden of her heart, acknowledges her bitter, painful circumstances to Him. To be a godly Christian, suffering under difficult circumstances, does not mean pretending there is no pain, or feeling, ' if I am truly godly I won't have pain.' Rather is is our submission to the Lord in the pain, yielding to Him, waiting on Him, pouring our hearts before Him. There would be no submission or crying to the Lord if there was no pain. Pain causes fervent prayer. Our God is good and welcomes us to pour out our broken hearts before Him."

I made the mistake for a long time of believing if I was a godly Christian submitting, that I wouldn't feel pain from difficult circumstances, and thought there was something wrong with me.....realizing the truth was a freedom of sorts. I'm thankful to serve the kind of God who I can pour my heart out to, that I can know He loves me, and will be doing what is for my best and His glory.....that just as He remembered Hannah, He remembers me. He is good. I pray this will be a blessing to others as well. There's so much more to it than I shared here, so I hope you can listen!

"In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us."
Psalm 62:7-8





Share |

18 comments:

  1. Stefanie,
    Clicked over from Michelle's. Thanks for reminding us of Hannah's story, and our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit, I forget this sometimes: "To be a godly Christian, suffering under difficult circumstances, does not mean pretending there is no pain, or feeling, ' if I am truly godly I won't have pain.' Rather is is our submission to the Lord in the pain, yielding to Him, waiting on Him, pouring our hearts before Him. "

    Thank you for such an important reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That part about pain spoke to me, too! Our love for Him and His for us is about so much more than what we want, isn't it? Yet when we yield to Him, the blessings we're flooded with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    You have a beautiful blog! I'm your newest follower, please follow back :)I only have 3 people following so far...
    http://wordfromthelordpsalm119.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Often I wish the bible would tell us how long Hannah prayed for - how many visits in tears to the temple - but in a away I'm glad we are given a number we are just told she persisted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you.
    We are told she came back year after year....so it was a long time of waiting on the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that we serve a God that wants all of us -- our pains and sufferings as well as our joys and triumphs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. I am discovering the joy of being weak inside of God's strength, of recognizing those hard places as the tools they are. And I always, always appreciate the reminder. Thank you, new friend! Found you over at Imperfect Prose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are wise, friend. thank you so much for teaching me. and i find such communion and encouragement from reading those stories too... there is hope....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suffering is never easy, but without it we would not know the depths of God's love and mercy! Thanks for sharing your reflections on NOBH!

    ReplyDelete
  11. God wants us to look beyond human resources and look to Him.

    I just asked a question at another blog and this is my answer. God is writing me a bible study today through Imperfect Prose. And He's using your words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen! Well said. :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post really means a lot to me. God has reminded me of Hannah many times in my life. He answered her and He answers me. Found you on NOBH and am following!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good timing. I just reread Hannah's story this week. Also, I just finished The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great point! I think many people believe this. Job was the Godliest man of his time and felt the most pain. May we glorify Him through our trials!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is sooooooo good! I really enjoyed it. Stopped by from Blog Frog and followed. Would love it in return. www.rebeccalynndunning.blogspot.com and www.rebeccadunning.com.

    ReplyDelete
  17. God loves to take something that is perplexed, helpless, without ability, without resources - hopeless, and in the context he begins to move to demonstrate his power his glory and to bring about good.---I love this statement. It reinforces that it has nothing to do with us and everything to do with submitting to Him.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1