Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Giving thanks...

On my mind today is what I posted as my facebook status the other day. Only three words, but so comforting and true.

"God is good."

And He is. I reminded so often, through the love of friends, a kind email, a hug at just the right time, Him helping me through something I thought I couldn't do, a sermon that speaks to me where I am, a baby to snuggle.....so many blessings.

Life continues on much the same in South Carolina, spring is fast turning to summer, and we're all busy as always. I had a nice weekend staying with friends, and am looking forward to seeing family later this month at the baptisms of Julian and Matthew, and a trip to VA to visit family. It's fun to have things to look forward to:-). Today is a day at home for me, which means house cleaning, laundry, and cooking dinner for my brothers.

I just picked up the book "One Thousand Gifts" and want to try to read some today,  I'd heard a lot about it so was curious enough to pick it up at the library. Though I haven't gotten very far into it, so far what I have read has been along the theme of what I've talked about more than once on here, the sacrifice of praise. Practicing being thankful even if we don't feel like it. To my mind this idea kind of goes along with what I posted yesterday about how being a godly Christian suffering does not mean pretending there is no pain, but coming under the Lord's hand in it, likewise I suppose giving thanks doesn't mean pretending that everything is exactly how we want it, but submitting to the Lord, believing He is doing what is best, and thanking Him for whatever He does for us.

I'd also like to ask for prayer for Dr. David Murray,  a minister in our denomination (I've posted on him  and his sermons before),  he was diagnosed with blood clots in both lungs. Thankfully he seems to be doing much better, but this family needs our prayers.

What I have shared here reminds me of a quote I read and liked recently by Andrew Bonar:

"There may be real submission to the will of God where we can't help wishing things were otherwise. God does not ask to feel that everything is for the best, but He does ask us to believe it."

IMG_1359
Last of all a picture of my sister-in-law Tara, with Julian, her mom, and sister, and me at a baby shower on Saturday. The little guy has really grown! He spent most of his shower napping on my lap, and I was noticing that I could see my father in him.




I hope everyone has a good day!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting on NOBH and once again congrats on the star blogger award. I will add Dr. Murray to my prayers. I will need to look into the book a thousands gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful blog, please spread the word and follow back @ http://wordfromthelordpsalm119.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1