Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Letter.....

100_1094 This week I brought Andrew Bonar's Diary along with me to read and have found it to be an encouraging book that has given me plenty to think about. I've always enjoyed reading books that are made up of diary entries, and letters as they give a good picture of what day to day life was like. So far from my reading I'm impressed by what a man of prayer he was....yet he constantly speaks of his need to pray more, before he preaches, or chooses a text to preach on, before family worship, and even to pray first in the morning before he speaks to anyone else, etc, etc. This has been just one more reminder in my life of the importance of prayer....I keep being reminded in books, from the pulpit, in conversation.

Below is a letter, from the diary, that was written to a friend whose sister was dying. I thought it was really good and encouraging and wanted to share.



My Dear Mrs. Manson,

Isabella [his wife] and I have been sympathizing deeply with you. You will be ready to say, "Deep calleth unto deep," but you must not say "All Thy waves and billows are against me." These billows are helping you forward to a haven of unbroken rest, and by sanctifying you now are preparing a deeper rest in the end. As you sit watching at your sister's bedside may be tempted to say, "Has the Lord forgotten to be gracious ?" but if you are so tempted you will look again to His holy temple and say, "Shall I not be subject to my Father's will?" Shall I not think on my Forerunner and learn of Him to say, "The cup which my Father giveth me, shall I not drink it?"

Perhaps you feel anxiety to be as difficult to bear as even the certain stroke of calamity. Well, your Elder Brother has felt the same. Did He not once cry in Psalm 142:3, "When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then Thou knewest my way." At a time when I could not see the Lord's ways, and was perplexed and anxious and burdened, at that very time this was my consolation, "Thou knowest the path by which Thou art leading me." Were you even come to this, "Now is my soul troubled, and what shall I say ?" I doubt not that the Comforter would enable you to follow Jesus and to say, not "Save me from this hour," but "Father, glorify Thy name! "

Here is a message for your sister : " He is all my salvation." Christ is my obedience to the law, my satisfaction for having broken the law, my payment of the ten thousand talents I owe, my righteousness ! " He is all my salvation "-—my feelings, my thoughts, my prayers, even my faith are no part of my salvation in coming for acceptance as a sinner. My soul is the dry empty pitcher. He is the deep well. Drop in, O my soul!

Yours truly in the Lord,
Andrew A. Bonar.


Sharing with -


2 comments:

  1. Stefanie, it's nice to meet you! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and entering to win the It's A Blessing "Wait Upon the Lord" bracelet! :) So glad you stopped by! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stefani,
    Thank you for joining LACE again today.
    I enjoyed reading Andrew Bonar's words - always a blessing!
    in Christ..Trish

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1