Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Do not worry

ocean sky view
 From my reading, six convicting reasons for why it is sinful to worry. And just so you know I am very much talking to myself here and it reminds me of something I heard in a sermon about a year ago, "Worry is a sinful form of self-torture."

1. Worry is totally fruitless. Have you ever succeeded in adding an inch where you wanted it, or subtracting one from where you didn't want it, merely by being anxious? If you can't accomplish that by worrying, what can you accomplish?

2. Worry is worse than fruitless. It is disobedience. Note these commands:
Fret not.
Fear not.
Let not your hearts be troubled.
Be not dismayed.
Be of good cheer.

3. Worry is taking the not-given - for example, tomorrow. Tomorrow is not ours to worry about. We are allowed to plan for tomorrow, but not to worry about it. Today's troubles are enough of a burden. Jesus knew exactly what He was talking about when He said that.

4. Worry is refusing the given. Today's care, not tomorrow's is the responsibility given us, apportioned in the wisdom of God. Often we neglect the thing assigned for the moment because we are preoccupied with something that is not our business just now. How easy it is to give only half our attention to someone who needs us - friend, husband, or little child - because the other half is focused on a future worry.

5. Worry is the antithesis of trust. You simply cannot do both. They are mutually exclusive
.

6. Worry is a wicked squandering of time (as well as energy).

Elisabeth Elliot

Sharing with LACE, and Women Living Well.



7 comments:

  1. That was an awesome post on worrying. I worry way to much. Sometimes, I don't feel like I am worrying; but I feel anxious. So I guess I am internalizing worry. Very insightful post.
    Blessings to you!
    Google is having a problem with comments so my comment is under anonymous.
    Living Waters by LeAnn
    htt://lgwilliams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely written from a former worry wort:) Thanks for linking up to the NOBH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post as I am a worrier and need reminding of how wrong it is to have this mindset. I found your blog through Trish's LACE and am so glad to have read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed this reminder. Thank you. I am now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a worrier too:-( #4 was what stood out to me..how many times have I been impatient or short with someone and excused myself because I was stressed - not good. This was convicting for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great reminder! As a teen I woke up every day worried. Much changed after I became a Christian, but it's still such a temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a battle...a while ago I wrote a whole post about this..."Worry--I Wish I Wasn't So Good At It".
    It's a constant struggle and these words are so good. So full of Truth.
    Makes me long for Heaven.
    Thanks for joining us at NOBH.
    Love,
    Kara @ The Chuppies/NOBH

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1