Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's day, a different perspective....

Tomorrow is Father's day and lately it has been everywhere, ads online, on the radio, TV, etc, etc, and we just recently finished the same thing with Mother's day. It leaves me wondering if anyone remembers those for whom these holidays can be difficult times, whether they are people who wish to be parents, no longer have parents, are at a distance from parents, or_____ you fill in the blank. With that on my mind I appreciated this reminder in my Matthew Henry reading on Psalm 27:10, that

'God is a better friend than our parents ever can be.' 

So if you are one for whom this holiday is a happy one, give thanks, and if not be thankful that the Lord remembers the fatherless, and is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. The Bible says that a prudent wife is a gift from the Lord, but I believe we could say that of any of our relationships, whether parents, children, husbands or wives.....all come from the Lord, or are withheld by Him......and all is being worked together for good for those who love Him.

Mary
"When my father and my mother forsake me, the nearest and dearest friends I have in the world, from whom I may expect most relief and with most reason, when they die, or are at a distance from me, or are disabled to help me in time of need, or are unkind to me or unmindful of me, and will not help me, when I am as helpless as ever poor orphan was that was left fatherless and motherless, then I know the Lord will take me up, as a poor wandering sheep is taken up, and saved from perishing." His time to help those that trust in him is when all other helpers fail, when it is most for his honor and their comfort. With him the fatherless find mercy. This promise has often been fulfilled in the letter of it. Forsaken orphans have been taken under the special care of the divine Providence, which has raised up relief and friends for them in a way that one would not have expected. God is a surer and better friend than our earthly parents are or can be."                      
Matthew Henry




Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1