Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Give me thine heart....

My Heart Belong To YouToday on my mind is the need, as Christians, to give our hearts wholly to the Lord. That made me think of this section below from Hind's Feet On High Places......







"...She awoke suddenly because she knew someone had called her. She waited in silence, then a Voice said, "Much Afraid."
"Behold me, here I am my Lord," she answered.

"Much Afraid," said the Voice, "Take now the promise you received when I called you to follow me to the High Places, and take the natural longings for human love which you found already growing in your heart when I planted my own love there and go up into the mountains to the place that I show you. Offer them there as a burnt offering unto me."

The story goes on to share how she reels at this request, how she contemplates giving up, but ultimately decided to obey, reaching the point of feeling 'neither despair nor hope.' But when the time comes she finds it impossible to do on her own. I won't give anymore away except to say that great joy comes from her submission and obedience. I was thinking in allegories, and sometimes even in others' stories it is so easy to see the Lord working in that person's life, the reason, the good that comes from it, and the fact that He is with them the whole time, that His love is in it, yet it can be so hard to see and believe that in our own circumstances.

It also made me think of this verse from Proverbs 23:

"My son (or could be daughter!) give me thine heart."

So (surprise, surprise:-) I went to see what Matthew Henry had to say on the subject and shared this very convicting quote below. May God give grace to live this out.

"God in this exhortation, speaks to us as unto children: "Son, Daughter, Give my thy heart." The heart is that which the great God requires and calls for from every one of us; whatever we give, if we do not give him our hearts, it will not be accepted. We must set our love upon him. Our thoughts must converse much with him, and on him, as our highest end. The intents of our hearts must be fastened. We must make it our own act and deed to devote ourselves to the Lord, and we must be free and cheerful in it. We must not think to divide the heart between God and the world; he will have all or none. Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart. To this call we must readily answer,  
"My father, take my heart, such as it is, and make it such as it should be; take possession of it, and set up thy throne in it."



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1