Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pastoral Letters part two

Letters Play Important Roles in our LivesContinuing on from yesterday's post, one of Robert Murray M'Cheyne's pastoral letters to his congregation. Perhaps not all of you will realize when reading this that he was a very young man who died at the age of 29. It's hard for me to imagine any of the young people I know today writing something like this.....

                                                                          February 18, 1830

 "But He knoweth the way that I take : when He hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold."


Observe first, "He knoweth the way that I take." What sweet comfort there is in these words :

He that redeemed me

He that pities me as a father

He who is the only wise God

He whose name is love—

"He knoweth the way that I take"

When the world looks on your grief with an unsympathetic eye, you feel very desolate. "Your soul is exceedingly filled with the scorning of those who are at ease." But why should you ? He that is greater than all the world is looking with the intensest interest upon all your steps. The most intimate friends do not know the way of an afflicted believer. Your spirit is lonely, even among God's children ; for your way is hid, and the Lord hath hedged you in. Still be of good cheer, the Father of all, the best of friends, knows all the way that you take. You do not know your own way. God has called you to suffer, and you go, like Abraham, not knowing whither you go. Like Israel going down into the Red Sea, every step is strange to you. Still, be of good cheer, sufferer with Christ! God marks your every step. "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and he delighteth in his way." He that loves you with an infinite, unchanging love, is leading you by His Spirit and providence. He knows every stone, every thorn in your path. Jesus knows your way. Jesus is afflicted in all your afflictions.

"Fear not, for I have redeemed thee. I have called thee by My name, thou art Mine. When thou passest through the water, I will be with thee ; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee. When thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned, neither shall the flame kindle upon thee."

"When He hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold."

This also is precious comfort. There will be an end of your affliction. Christians must have "great tribulation"; but they come out of it. We must carry the cross ; but only for a moment, then comes the crown.....we are only called "to suffer a while". There is a set time for putting into the furnace, and a set time for taking out of the furnace. There is a time for pruning the branches of the vine, and there is a time when the husbandman lays aside the pruning-hook. Let us wait His time:

"he that believeth shall not make haste."

God's time is the best time. But shall we come out the same as we went in ? No! "we shall come out like gold." It is this that sweetens the bitterest cup ; this brings a rainbow of promise over the darkest cloud.

Affliction will certainly purify a believer. How boldly he says it : "I shall come out like gold ". It is certain that when we are pruned, we shall bear more fruit. We shall come out like gold.....We shall become holy golden vessels for the Master's use in time and in eternity.

My chief comfort concerning you is that, "My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

Brethren, farewell ! Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace, and the God of love and of peace shall be with you. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.
Robert Murray M'Cheyne

To be continued......

Sharing with Women Living Well,
LACEA Holy Experience,
and Serenity Now.




5 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Stephanie! I am so happy to have come across your lovely blog through Trish's Wednesday LACE! I hope to post something here by the end of the day! I am new to blogging (just over three months) but hope to get into the swing of things soon. I love how glorifying your site is to our Lord! Using our gifts to magnify His name is all things good and beauty in our lives! I hope you'll visit me at The Writer's Reverie. I look forward to more visits here with you in Pleasant Places - and perhaps sending folks your way!
    Joy!
    Kathryn Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stefanie,
    It is wonderful to know that the Lord is with us every step of the way in our life.
    I sometimes forget this -- thank you for the reminder I needed to hear.
    God Bless
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mature man with a mature faith. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write the most inspirational post! Thanks for linking up to the NOBH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for reading!
    I'm glad it was a blessing,
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1