Thursday, June 23, 2011

Precious Promises....

Today I wanted to share my devotional reading from yesterday morning - I appreciated this reminder! I've enjoyed going through this book so much; it's all excerpts from the Puritan's writings, divided into daily readings and has been so good. Click here to get your own copy.

 "He has granted to us His precious and very great promises."
2 Peter 1:4

FaithFaith may act with great advantages upon the promises of God and gain great encouragement from them. There are promises suitable for every condition. Not only are there express promises, but promises that can be applied by faith. The titles of God are virtual promises. He s a shield, a strong tower, a hiding place, and our portion. Faith may apply these as promises.

Scriptural assertions may be applied as promises. "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience......" Galatians 5;22. Faith may conclude that the Spirit will bring forth this fruit in me.

What God has done for His people formerly are, in effect, promises too. Faith may conclude the Lord will work in like manner in the future too. If he delivered others who trusted in Him, He will deliver me if I trust in Him now.

He is the same yesterday and forever.

David conquered Goliath in the name of the Lord, and prevailed. If I go in like manner against my sins, I shall prevail.

The prayers of God's people, and the commandments are also virtual promises. We are commanded to forgive seventy times seven, so faith may conclude, the Lord will forgive much more. Even in threatenings we might find a promise. If the wicked shall be turned into hell, faith may conclude that the godly shall be carried into Heaven.

Gather the promises and meditate on them. They are meat in the wilderness. Often be mining their treasures. Do not allow these pearls to lie neglected in the field. Treasure them up. 

 Fill your memories with them. A promise treasured will afford comfort in our callings....Meditate frequently and seriously, on them. Meditation squeezes the sweetness out of them and helps us to unite our faith to them for encouragement.
David Clarkson (Voices From The Past)


Sharing with Thankful Thursday,



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1