Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Great faith

SermonsOfRobertMurrayMCheyne Over the last few days I've been reading in this little book. It's really good, and I've thought more than once while reading that I wish I could have actually heard him preach. While it's all been good, one sermon on Matthew 27:46 has stood out for me. I read it, then I read it again......it reminded me somewhat of this sermon: A Cry From The Depths, that I shared on here over a year ago. I wish I could share the whole thing, but that would be too long, so I shared one of his points on faith below. I hope it encourages you all too.

 "My God, My God."
These words show the greatest faith that ever was in this world. Faith is believing the word of God, not becasue we see it to be true, or feel it to be true, but because God has said it. Now Christ was forsaken. He did not see that God was His God - He did not feel that God was His God; and yet He believed God's word and cried: "My God, my God."

David shows great faith in Psalm 42:7-8: "Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of Thy waterspouts: all Thy waves and Thy billows are gone over me. Yet the Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the nigh His song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life." He felt like one covered with a sea of troubles. He could see no light, no way of escape. Yet he believed the word of God, and said: "Yet the Lord will." This is faith - believing when we do not see.

Jonah showed great faith: "All Thy waves and Thy billows cast over me, then I said; I am cast out of Thy sight, yet will I look again toward Thy holy temple." (Jonah 2:3-4). He was literally at the bottom of the sea. He knew no way of escape - he saw no light - he felt no safety; yet he believed the word of God. This was great faith.

But, a greater than Jonah is here. Here is greater faith than David's - greater faith than Jonah's - greater faith than ever was in the world, before or after. Christ was beneath a deeper sea than that which covered Jonah. The tossing billows of God's anger raged over Him - He was in outer darkness - He was in hell; and yet He believed the word of God. He does not feel it - He does not see it - but He believes it and cries: "My God."
"Though He slay me yet will I trust in Him."

Dear believer, this is your surety. You are often unbelieving - distrustful of God; behold your surety - He never distrusted - cling to Him - you are complete in Him.

Sharing with LACE, Seeds of Faith,






Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1