Thursday, July 21, 2011

Keeping the heart....

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life."
Proverbs 4:23


"The Heart of the Matter is the Matter of the Heart."
Spurgeon

Today I'm thankful for this sermon from this past Lord's day. I listened to it again yesterday while doing housework and found it so good and helpful. Recently I've seen examples of what happens when one doesn't keep one's heart, or give God one's heart, and am amazed by just how devastating and far reaching the pain is as a result of not doing things God's way. And I've seen the pain of holding onto bitterness and resentment. All this, and the sermon, leave me wanting to once again commit my heart to the Lord, to commit to living in a way that pleases Him, and to pray for His help and grace to do that. I hope this sermon will be equally convicting and helpful to anyone else who finds time to listen.



"The heart is that which the great God requires and calls for from every one of us; whatever we give, if we do not give him our hearts, it will not be accepted. We must set our love upon him. Our thoughts must converse much with him, and on him, as our highest end. The intents of our hearts must be fastened. We must make it our own act and deed to devote ourselves to the Lord, and we must be free and cheerful in it. We must not think to divide the heart between God and the world; he will have all or none. Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart. To this call we must readily answer,  
"My Father, take my heart, such as it is, and make it such as it should be; take possession of it, and set up thy throne in it." 
Matthew Henry



Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1