Tuesday, July 12, 2011

One thing is needful.....

I put this post together about a week ago and now am thinking it's amazing how much life can change in just one week. But this is one thing that no matter what circumstances we are dealing with, doesn't change. In fact I'm realizing when things are hard, or we're hurting, we need more than ever to be at the feet of Christ. (...when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalm 61:2)


100_1462"But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."
Luke 10:42


The one thing needful is certainly meant of that which Mary made her choice—sitting at Christ's feet, to hear his word. One thing is needful, this one thing that she has done, to give up herself to the guidance of Christ, and receive the law from his mouth.

Note, Serious godliness is a needful thing, it is the one thing needful; for nothing without this will do us any real good in this world, and nothing but this will go with us into another world. However we may be censured and condemned by men for our piety and zeal, our Lord Jesus will take our part: But thou shalt answer, Lord, for me. Let us not then condemn the pious zeal of any, lest we set Christ against us; and let us never be discouraged if we be censured for our pious zeal, for we have Christ for us. Sooner or later, Mary's choice will be justified, and all those who make that choice, and abide by it.

But this was not all; he applauded her for her wisdom: She hath chosen the good part; for she chose to be with Christ, to take her part with him; she chose the better business, and the better happiness, and took a better way of honouring Christ and of pleasing him, by receiving his word into her heart, A part with Christ is a good part; it is a part for the soul and eternity, the part Christ gives to his favourites (John 8:8), who are partakers of Christ (Hebrews 3:14), and partakers with Christ, (Romans 8:17). It is a part that shall never be taken away from those that have it....Nothing shall separate us from the love of Christ, and our part in that love. Men and devils cannot take it away from us, and God and Christ will not. 
Matthew Henry on Luke 10


Before I end though I have to say sometimes I think we're all too hard on Martha after reading this story. If you go on to John 11 you'll see that when their brother Lazarus was sick she was the one that ran to Christ while Mary stayed in the house, and she made this testimony of her faith:

"Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God..."
John 11:27

 By the way the picture above is of me sitting on our front porch with my old, much loved, falling apart Bible - I had some free time the other day and was playing around with my camera and photo editing. Always a fun thing to do:-)

Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1