Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The True Shepherd

I'm reposting today. I shared this the first time almost two years ago and have gone back and reread it for comfort a time or two.......Here it is again for my newer readers.

sheep walking


"....Last of all there is another character of the true shepherd here mentioned, and that is, "He goes before them". In the countries of the east, brethren, you know that the shepherd goes before the sheep, and they follow him. When he says, "let us go the well," they follow him. When he says, "let us go down into that dark valley," they follow after him. So it is with Christ. Christ never asked a sheep to go where He never went Himself. He has borne all that He calls His sheep to bear. Christ went in a lower level of sorrow than you will be called to bear. Do not be alarmed then when you are called to suffer, you will not be called to go where He has not gone. Do not be afraid to put down your tender feet where He has put down His. And it is still true that He goes before you. "When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee, and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee; when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned, neither shall the flame kindle upon thee." Do not be afraid then when Christ is before you."


From a sermon by Robert Murray McCheyne, The True and False Shepherd, on John 10:1-6




Share |

1 comment:

  1. He goes before me! What comforting words before I leave for She Speaks. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1