Monday, July 4, 2011

The widow's mites......

 I've been thinking about how much of the Christian life is lived in secret. I don't mean we shouldn't live holy lives, or that others shouldn't see Christ in us, but how much of it is spent in service, in prayer, cross bearing, and self denial that no one sees. Yet this past Lord's day we were reminded in our study of Luke 20, on the widow's two mites that the Lord does see and remember all we do for Him. This widow, probably just a regular person like us, going to worship, giving what she could....was held up for our example and is being remembered thousands of years later! I find comfort and encouragement in that.......the same Lord who sees the sparrow fall, sees and cares for the needy, the widow, the fatherless, and remembers even the smallest things done for Him. Remember, even a cup of cold water given in His name will not lose its reward.

Below I shared the sermon which I hope will encourage others, and a quote that I read recently and liked. And just so you know I'm majorly talking to myself in this post. Today's prayer is, "Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."





Carpets of Wildflowers, Paradise
"I must tell you a great truth, Much-Afraid, which only a few understand. All the fairest beauties in the human soul, its greatest victories and achievement are those which no one knows about...every conquest over self-love is a new flower on the tree of love.....Many a quiet, ordinary, and hidden life, unknown to the world is a veritable garden in which love's flowers and fruits have become a place where the King himself walks and rejoices. Some of my servants have indeed won great visible victories and are rightly loved and reverenced by other men, but always their greatest victories are like the wild flowers, those which no one knows about.... they offer themselves so willingly, sweetly and confidently, even if it seems there is no one to appreciate them.... Learn this lesson now, down here in the valley, Much-Afraid, and when you get to the steep places of the mountains it will comfort you."
Hinds Feet On High Places




Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1