Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Your strength is to sit still......

A friend loaned me this book that I have been wanting to read and it's been really good. Below I shared part of what I read last night which I hope others might find helpful too.


mosesselfdenial"Although you think you have no strength to encounter such great trials as you are likely to meet with, yet labor to quiet your hearts in the exercise of faith alone, for that will bring in strength enough. Whatsoever you think would strengthen you, you shall find it in the exercise of faith. Isaiah 30 is very observable. Your strength  is to sit still. 

"....Their strength is to sit still.....In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength.."

They thought their strength had been in the help of Egypt, as if nothing could help them but Egypt. "No," said God, "If you would quietly rest your spirits in me, you would have an Egypt. Whatsoever strength you expect from Egypt, you shall have it here."

When sufferings come, then stir up and put forth the grace of faith in the exercise of it; look up to God for strength and assistance; commit yourself and your cause wholly to Him; plead the promise; plead your call; that He has called you to this; plead the cause that is His.

Master William Tyndale, in a letter to a friend in prison gave four expressions of the work of faith in suffering,

"If you give yourself, cast yourself, yield yourself, and commit yourself wholly and only to your loving Father, then shall His power be in you, and make you strong. He shall set His truth by you wonderfully, and work for you above all your heart can imagine."

Jeremiah Burroughs 


and LACE.
 

Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1