Thursday, August 25, 2011

From my reading.....

DSC_0267

Today I'm thankful for good books! This picture made me laugh when I found it on a friend's blog -  I love book tables and I had no idea the picture was being taken:-). Lately I've been reading in Pilgrim' Progress with with notes by Thomas Scott (this one I've been picking up and reading bits and pieces of here and there, I'm mainly interested in the notes which I'd never read before). I've also been going through Mute Christian Under the Rod by Thomas Brooks, which is good. If you click on the link you can read it online. Then I was given a set of Calvin's Institutes by friends:-), and of course I'm continuing to work on Matthew Henry - as I type this post I've worked my way up through Psalm 116. Below I copied several quotes that I especially liked and recently shared on the Matthew Henry facebook page.



"God's people are never brought so low but that everlasting arms are under them, and those cannot sink who are thus sustained."

‎"The Lord has been mindful of us, and never unmindful, has been so constantly, has been so remarkably upon special occasions. He has been mindful of our case, our wants and burdens, mindful of our prayers to him, his promises to us, and the covenant-relation between him and us. All our comforts are derived from God's thoughts to us-ward; he has been mindful of us, though we have forgotten him. Let this engage us to trust in him, that we have found him faithful."

‎"Those that have been long barren are sometimes, on a sudden, made fruitful,This may look back to Sarah and Rebecca, Rachel, Hannah, and Samson's mother, or forward to Elizabeth; and many such instances there have been, in which God has looked on the affliction of his handmaids and taken away their reproach. He makes the barren woman to keep house."

"God's mercy is better than life, for it will out-live it."

‎"When God will work deliverance the greatest difficulties that lie in the way shall be made nothing of. Gates of brass and bars of iron, as they cannot keep him out from him people (he was with Joseph in the prison), so they cannot keep them in when the time, the set-time, for their enlargement, comes."

 



Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1