Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Obedience....


Fly Fishing At Haddon Hall.Nr Bakewell .Derbyshire.England The other day I saw a copy of one of the Chronicles of Narnia sitting out which brought back memories of reading them when I was younger. One part that always stood out for me is 'following the signs' from the The Silver Chair. I'm assuming most of you are familiar with the Narnia stories and will remember when Aslan calls Eustace and Jill to Narnia to rescue the Prince. To do this task they are given signs or rules to follow by Aslan himself:


"....But, first, remember, remember, remember the signs. Say them to yourself when you wake in the morning and when you lie down at night, and when you wake in the middle of the night. And whatever strange things may happen to you, let nothing turn your mind from following the signs. And secondly, I give you a warning. Here on the mountain I have spoken to you clearly: I will not often do so down in Narnia....the signs which you have learned here will not look at all as you expect them to look, when you meet them there. That is why it is so important to know them by heart and pay no attention to appearances. Remember the signs and believe the signs. Nothing else matters. And now, daughter of Eve, farewell....."

Does that wording sound a little familiar? What makes me think though is later in the story when they are in a dangerous situation being begged by a man who seems to be a dangerous lunatic to untie his bonds and set him free from the silver chair: he cries out to them' in the name of Aslan' to set him free - the words of one of the signs they are to obey. The children and their companion, Puddleglum struggle with what to do, it's the sign, but should they obey?

"It was a dreadful question. What had been the use of promising one another that they would not on any account set the Knight free, if they were now to do so the first time he happened to call upon a name they really cared about? On the other hand, what had been the use of learning the signs if they weren't going to obey them? Yet could Aslan have really meant them to unbind anyone even a lunatic - who asked it in his name? Could it be a mere accident?

'Oh, if only we knew!' said Jill.

'I think we do know,' said Puddleglum. 

'Do you mean you think everything will come right if we do untie him?' said Eustace.
'I don't know about that,' said Puddleglum. 'You see, Aslan didn't tell Jill what would happen. He only told her what to do. That fellow will be the death of us once he's up, I shouldn't wonder. But that doesn't let us off following the sign.'" 

I won't tell you what happened.....but this made me think the first time I read it and is still thought provoking. Things aren't always the way they appear, as Aslan told Jill in the beginning. That is so true! There have been so many times for me personally where I can't see how good can come out of circumstances, how God will be glorified through them. I'm reminded by this story that that isn't my job to figure out. My responsibility is to obey, to do what I know is right before the Lord even if I am afraid of what the consequences might be..... and trust that He will bless and bring good from it. I love a book that gets me thinking - and I guess I must have even when I was much younger:-)

Sharing with Women Living Well,
Seeds of Faith A Holy Experience,
 Imperfect Prose, Raising Mighty Arrows,
and Serenity Now.



Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1