Saturday, August 27, 2011

Walking by faith.....

"For we walk by faith, not by sight."
2 Corinthians 5:7

"Faith is for this world, and sight is reserved for the other world: and it is our duty, and will be our interest, to walk by faith, till we come to live by sight."
Matthew Henry

Walk by Faith and Not by Sight

On my mind today is walking by faith...waiting on God's time, believing He is doing what is best. As I go through trials I'm reminded of something I recently heard in a sermon that stuck with me -

Pastor said that when we are going through something difficult we are tempted to say to the Lord, "If I only knew when this was going to end, how it was going to work for good, then I could bear it." But he pointed out that when we say that we are wanting to walk by sight, rather than being willing to walk by faith as we are called to. True faith and submission to the Lord will say, "Lord, I'm willing to endure as long as You see fit." As Andrew Bonar said in his diary:  "God does not ask us to feel that everything is for the best, but He does ask us to believe it. “

I know I've said/thought the first many times, too many times, and those who know me in real life know how I struggle with worrying and stressing, so today am praying for grace to be able to say the second and mean it. Ending with this comforting quote from Samuel Rutherford:


"Believe God's word and power more than you believe your own feelings and experiences. Your Rock is Christ, and it is not the Rock which ebbs and flows, but your sea."





Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1